UKC

Scarpa Manta..winter climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 malc 06 Jan 2014
What grade could you climb in winter wearing a pair of Scarpa Manta boots?
 lithos 06 Jan 2014
In reply to malc:

could I or could anyone ?

me probably 4/5, Greg Boswell prolly 7/8/9 ....

they wont have as much support for long technical steep routes so make you legs ache

ask yourself a similar question about EBs and rock routes ....
 IPPurewater 06 Jan 2014
In reply to lithos:

I've seconded grade 3 and led grade 2 in mine. They are nowhere near as good as a winter climbing boot.
 Jamie B 06 Jan 2014
In reply to malc:

Largely depends on your bodyweight and how much they've flexed with age. I've seen petite ladies climbing grade VI in them, but for lumpy blokes they're best seen as a low-grade option (up to II/III perhaps)
 jonny taylor 06 Jan 2014
In reply to malc:

Hmm, I've led grade IV in them... hadn't really crossed my mind that that was the limiting factor to be honest. Perhaps I should invest in some proper boots then!
 Only a hill 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Jamie B:

>

>

> Largely depends on your bodyweight and how much they've flexed with age. I've seen petite ladies climbing grade VI in them, but for lumpy blokes they're best seen as a low-grade option (up to II/III perhaps)

^^ This! My first pair of winter boots were Mantas, and due to the fact that I have size 11 feet and have always been a bit chunky, the boots were just too bendy for anything above Grade II.
OP malc 06 Jan 2014
In reply to malc:
Thanks for your replays. My reason for asking, is I need a new pair of winter boots and seeing as I only winter climb about one week every year to about III/IV, if I should spend money on Manta I can use all year or boots I would use for a limited time.

No sure how Mantas would fair in the Alps.
In reply to malc:

Have a look at the New Manta Pros! Nice boots
OP malc 06 Jan 2014
In reply to stevieweesaxs107:

That is what I was thinking stevie
 Blue Straggler 06 Jan 2014
In reply to malc:

I have Mantas and I don't have Only A Hill's "big feet" issue re: "bendiness". Done a few easy (I/II, maybe a bit of III) plods in them with no issue. Felt some real calf strain on Tower Scoop (seconding) and concluded that this is where B3 boots start to help. Of course it's possible to lead much harder than that in Mantas but it's also possible to do so with more ENJOYMENT in winter boots.
I now have Scarpa Grandes Jorasses and C3 crampons (some old stock Mountain Technology model) but have only used them one, seconding a III in thin conditions. Felt the improvement.

FWIW if I was about to spend £240+ on new boots, I would go for something like the Jorasses or near equivalent (Mammut do a nice one). They are actually lighter than Mantas (or at least I perceive them to be).
I am not sure where Mantas really lie in the marketplace these days. They hark back to an era wherein "winter boots" were Scarpa Vegas, but B3 boots have come on in leaps and bounds since then.
There was a thread on here a while back asking "what bit of kit do you most regret" and about 5 people said "Mantas"; at first I was "hurt" as they were my main boots, then I remembered that I had only paid £50 for them and that I'd be unhappy had I paid £240+

I got my Grandes Jorasses in a bargain Go Outdoors sale (on impulse!) for £187. If you are not in a rush, keep your eye out for a bargain.

And obviously for other hiking needs just get some light trekking boots maybe? But I am not sure what your other hiking needs ARE, of course
 Jamie B 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> I am not sure where Mantas really lie in the marketplace these days.

For the winter walker/mountaineer who maybe does the occasional low-grade climb I'd say.
 Only a hill 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

My brother uses Scarpa Jorasses and he swears by them.
 Blue Straggler 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Jamie B:

Fair enough. I just thought they are heavier than my Grandes Jorasses (as I said, possibly perceived!) and not particularly cheap. I suppose a flexier sole makes the walking nicer...? You know more about this stuff than me though!
 CurlyStevo 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Jamie B:

A friend with size 11/12 feet who weights about 13.5 stone leads up to grade V in his mantas.
 Jamie B 06 Jan 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:
They will be flexing on him. He may not be aware of it, but he's making life harder for himself. More of an issue on ice routes to be fair; I remember leading Cascade on the Ben in bendy boots that had been fine on early-season mixed - don't want to repeat that experience!
Post edited at 12:53
 CurlyStevo 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Jamie B:

yeah he also lead the cascade in manta's, although it wasn't his smoothest lead I don't think the issues were with the manta's. I think my freneys (which are pretty flexible for B3) are not much stiffer than his old mantas (the older stiffer design which are pretty stiff for B2).
In reply to malc:

I've manta's and have led low grade in them and seconded upto grade V in them. I don't find the boots are holding me back though, only noticed a little bit of flex in them once and i've size 9 feet. pretty good all round boots that are good for walking and climbing.

it all boils down to what you want out of a winter boot. if its a bit of an all rounder then manta's will be fine. if its a dedicated climbing boot then go for B3's.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...