UKC

2 week expedition ideas needed - yorkshire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Taer 06 Jan 2014

hi guys,

After much debate this year, my partner and i have decided that rather than going abroad this year we'd like to go for a rather long walk... ...

A two week long to be exact in Summer this year, we're based in Sheffield and would be looking to get the train to wherever the start point would be then walk/camp back.

i've done expeditions before, maybe not quite as long as this but we're both fit and healthy and active, any ideas as to what would be a good trudge home?

Thanks

Alex
Post edited at 10:34
johnj 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Taer:
Hi Alex, the obvious answer would be the Pennine way as you journey up or down the backbone of Yorkshire and you almost get to the real north
Post edited at 10:54
OP Taer 06 Jan 2014
In reply to johnj:

hi John,

i was thinking of the pennine way but they recommended between 17-21 days, we only have 14 days holiday, do you reckon it could be done in 14 days?

Cheers

Al
 d_b 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Taer:

It's not hard to beat guidebook time on most of these long walks, but it goes through enough towns that you could easily pick a spot 2/3 of the way up if you don't fancy risking it.
 1poundSOCKS 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Taer: Can I totally ignore your Yorkshire plan and suggest the GR20?

d_b 06 Jan 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Is that a pub crawl around Leeds? '
OP Taer 06 Jan 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

GR20, if it can be done with enough time to travel in two weeks then deffo can ignore the yorkshire plan
 1poundSOCKS 06 Jan 2014
In reply to davidbeynon: It's a lot easier (and safer) than that. Something I've been wanting to do myself for the last few years.

1poundSOCKS 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Taer: I know it's roughly a 2 week walk, dig around online, they'll be loads of info.

johnj 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Taer:

I did it in 11 days in 1994 with 3 mates, we just doubled up a few of the easier days, and whilst not been epic, some of the days were long around 30 miles or so, we were used to this kind of trip anyway so I'd say for someone in decent shape 14 days is reasonable and achievable, all things considered our 11 day trip is pretty steady if you have a look at the records on it you'll see there's been some very quick journeys.
 1poundSOCKS 06 Jan 2014
In reply to johnj: Did you stop in huts John, or did you take camping gear?

OP Taer 06 Jan 2014
In reply to johnj: This is good to know

I guess if we're behind target we can always find the nearest train station and train it back to sheffield if time comes short

I'll also have a look at the GR20 when on my break

Thanks for all the input!

johnj 06 Jan 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Camping gear, we started around the 25th of the month, so I was skint till pay day so loaded my pack up with a weeks worth of army rations (as was serving at that point, and we did it for a self organised adventure training trip) so Jacobs ladder, Kinder, Bleaklow, and Black Hill was steady with 60 lbs or so, once we got into the second week we got paid so we'd only carry a days foods and could travel much lighter and quicker.

We stopped in two camping barns, one at tan hill cos we got pissed at the pub and couldn't work out how to put tents up and the barn was empty, and the second one was a small boothy type hut up on the Cheviots only a few miles from the end in Scotland

So was as lightweight as we could go, all relevant camping gear but stripped down to the max, I took a book as a luxury which I never bothered to read as the trip took up all of our time.

Was a great route would definatley do it again given the chance.
 BnB 06 Jan 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

> Can I totally ignore your Yorkshire plan and suggest the GR20?

+1 to this. The most spectacular long distance walk in Europe that requires no technical skills or winter kit, though you may find a little snow on Monte Cinto. Great food too if your budget stretches to locally caught wild boar.

OP Taer 06 Jan 2014
In reply to BnB:

How much does it cost including flights and everything roughly trying to have a holiday on a reasonable budget as we're saving for a wedding.
 BnB 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Taer:

More than camping in Yorkshire that's for sure. But it's really only flights if you camp out and those won't be more than a few hundred quid each. You'll waste a lot more than that on stuff you really don't need for a wedding, believe me!!

And the experience will be epic (not to mention sunny and dry)!
OP Taer 06 Jan 2014
In reply to BnB:

Yah this is true, but for some reason she doesn't see the world the same way that I do
OP Taer 06 Jan 2014
In reply to johnj:

Would you recommend OS maps for the whole of the trip or is there a guide book that you can recommend to save a bit of cash??

ceri 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Taer:

Harvey do the pennine way strip maps: http://www.harveymaps.co.uk/acatalog/Pennine-Way-map-set-YHWRPNK.html
I'd say from the bits I've encountered though, it's pretty well signposted and a guidebook and research (maybe print out the harder bits before you go?) would be enough
OP Taer 06 Jan 2014
In reply to ceri:

Thanks very much Ceri!
In reply to Taer:

The West Highland Way could be done in about 10 days which would leave a few days for side walks in the Mamores or Ben Nevis.
 1poundSOCKS 06 Jan 2014
In reply to johnj: Scotland, isn't the GR20 traditionally in Corsica?

johnj 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Taer:

We got the full ordinance survey map sheets from the unit, but they stayed at the bottom of someone's rucksack the whole of the trip, I also bought a guide book (I don't remember who it was by) but that's all we used, it's really well sign posted I seem to remember we never needed a compass either although all that stuff was carried as a precaution.

These days you could probably plan your route and download all maps or satnav data using the internet, but a guide book is good as it gives you campsites on route, so if you're feeling good on a certain day you can always push on.
johnj 06 Jan 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

> Scotland, isn't the GR20 traditionally in Corsica?

I have no idea where the GR20 goes.
 1poundSOCKS 06 Jan 2014
In reply to johnj: Sorry John, we just had our wires crossed, I thought you were talking GR20, you were talking west highland way I presume? It dawned on me when I was reading your response.

johnj 06 Jan 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

No the Pennine way starts or finishes at Kirk Yetholm which is just inside the Scottish Border.
 kestrelspl 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Taer:

Coast to coast is pretty good too.
johnj 06 Jan 2014
In reply to kestrelspl:

They tell me the Wainwrights coast to coast is harder that the Pennine way, due to the slog across the vale of York and the less interesting scenery, However I don't know about that it looked fine to me in 4 days on my push bike
J1234 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Taer:

If you have a look on here http://www.ldwa.org.uk/ldp/public/ldp_public_home.php there is a searchable database of walks. It is well worth the effort of sussing out how to use it.
OP Taer 06 Jan 2014
In reply to johnj:

this is all really useful i'll do a little research tonight, I think pennines might have to be the way forwards, plenty of walking in advance needed to make sure we're both completely fit an active.

the GR20 looks a little too expensive I'm afraid for now however next year I think it will be perfect with a little saving!!

i'll have a look at the other routes as well, I was tempted to have a look at some bikes but costs would be the limiting factor
 jfmchivall 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Taer:
You're a bit late to enter this year's TGO Challenge - a coast to coast walk across Scotland where you chose your own route and which takes a maximum of 14 days. Nothing stopping you from doing your own walk anyway.

Train to Oban or Lochailort/Mallaig, train home from Stonehaven or Montrose. You can take in lots of classic routes like the Corrieyaraich, Glen Feshie, Jock's Road etc. Accommodation in bothies, tents and b&bs. Doable in anything between 9 days and 17 depending on route taken, number of Munros bagged en route etc.
 jfmchivall 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Taer:

Southern Upland Way can be done within 14 days as well. Both ends accessible by public transport.
 Haszko 21 Jan 2014
In reply to Taer:
you'd be hard pushed to beat Snowdonia to the Gower for a walk in the UK. Doable in 10-12 days
 victorclimber 21 Jan 2014
In reply to Taer:

start at Richmond and walk the Coast To Coast Keld pick up the Pennine way there and back to Home should hold you for a fortnight

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...