UKC

what boots are these?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Choss 06 Jan 2014
Anybody identify these rather solid Heavy Scarpas i picked up in a charity shop? Practically unused they are.

What Crampons would they Take?

https://picasaweb.google.com/m/viewer?fgl=true&pli=1
In reply to Choss:

link doesn't work
OP Choss 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Cookie (North East Wales MC):

> link doesn't work

Works on my mobular Phone.

They are big Heavy unbendable, thick vibram soles, Orange in Colour with a full sewn in tongue, crampon attachment lugs, and a padded collar, if that helps?
 Carolyn 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Choss:
I think it possibly only works if you're signed in to Piscaweb - it takes me to a sign in page....

ETA - nope, now signed in and can't see a photo..
Post edited at 11:29
OP Choss 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Carolyn:

> I think it possibly only works if you're signed in to Piscaweb - it takes me to a sign in page....

Oh right. Im Having Problems Putting photos From Phone on UKC, says they need to be GIFs or JPEGs or Somesuch? God Knows what format my Phones photos are in.
OP Choss 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Carolyn:

They are scarpas. Very similar uppers to the Mont mont blancs but with an all black sole.

Wondering if might be older model of same boot.

Apologies for bad pic Link.
 PPP 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Choss:

They are most likely to be JPEG or PNG. Try to upload to imgur.com and then post the links here.
OP Choss 06 Jan 2014
In reply to PPP:
cheers, try that then

http://i.imgur.com/WDLa4yLh.jpg

Post edited at 11:50
OP Choss 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Choss:

Last try. Third Times the charm they say.

http://i.imgur.com/29IbU4ch.jpg

TobyA 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Choss:

Matterhorns I think? Maybe from about 10 years ago. From what I remember it was Scarpa's response to the Nepal Extremes which were everywhere there.
 butteredfrog 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Choss:
Old Scarpa Mont Blanc I think!

Or as Toby says Mattahorns

Post edited at 12:04
OP Choss 06 Jan 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Thanks. Now i had a name to Look up images of, they Look Like Matterhorns.

Excellent Condition, a good buy for a fiver. Cant complain.

Now to find a cheap pair of C3 Crampons to go with them
 forcan 07 Jan 2014
In reply to Choss:

There's a pair of Dmm Terminator Crampons on eBay just now, 99p start - item number 201014207004 (not my sale - no affiliation etc etc!)

I've just refurbished a pair of Terminators I bought on here, got a pair of Black Diamond Cyborgs for walking/I/II, these will be used for III up. Refurb costs were £24 for new anti-balling plates, and £5 for new stainless nuts & bolts. Photos for the interested: http://imgur.com/a/4X9Hj#0
 angry pirate 07 Jan 2014
In reply to Choss:
They could be Matterhorns but my money's on scarpa Dru. Similar boot but b2 rated. I used to own a pair. You can tell by the flex in the sole, try standing on the stairs on your toes and see how much they bend.

TobyA 07 Jan 2014
In reply to forcan:

Are you really going to use the the mixed mono points? I thought the general rule was that they were retrieved from the box, laughed at, and thrown in bottom of the never used gear box!
 peebles boy 07 Jan 2014
In reply to forcan:

It's like pimp my ride for crampons!
 SB 07 Jan 2014
In reply to Choss:

They're Dru's, they were around just before Nepals, had a pair and they were really stiff and heavy, will take any crampon.
 TobyA 07 Jan 2014
In reply to SB:

Do they really predate Nepals? I have a pair of Scarpa Fitzroys from about 1995, when that was the top of the range crampon compatible leather boot Scarpa made and the Nepal Tops came out around then (cf. Jeff Lowe hanging upside down off Octopussy in a pair [1994?] - the dude!). I wonder when Nepal Extremes were launched then? I guess the Drus must have been just before the Extremes then?

Oh, nostalgia in boots...

BTW I wore my nearly 20 year old Fitzroys round a snowy Snowdon Horseshoe just a week ago - good value, still working ok including with crampons.
 SB 07 Jan 2014
In reply to TobyA:

That would sound about right, if I remember the Dru's and Matterhorns seemed to appear after the Nepal Tops, but before the Extremes, or around about the same time, then Salomon jumped on board shortly after with the SM's. The Nepal Tops, ahhh, what a revelvation they were, at last something oppose to plastics, as near decent, as to walk as to climb in. Never got on with SM's. Take you on with the Fitzroys, still got some scarpa SL attacks I was out in last week, and you thought boots were dear back then!
 didntcomelast 07 Jan 2014
In reply to SB:

I still wander around in a pair of Junior Sport boots purchased in 1986. C2 crampon compatible with a steel shank and Skywalk sole. And if I want to be really retro I wear my Rohan Olfio top in green & blue from the same year.
The Junior Sports were one step down from a double leather boot and they are still perfectly wearable if a little on the heavy side.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...