UKC

Black Diamond Narrow Fit Toe Bail on Scarpa Phantoms??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 maybe_si 06 Jan 2014

Am off to the Alps in a couple of weeks and I have just remembered that my Phantom Ultra's don't fit very well on my BD Cyborg crampons, the narrow profile on the boots just doesnt work too well with the BD front bail. A little hunting around and I have spotted that Needlesports stocks the new narrow bail, before I mail order this, has anyone used the narrow bail? Is it narrow enough? Will it work, is it a waste of money?!

Cheers

Simon
 crayefish 06 Jan 2014
In reply to maybe_si:

Have you tried emailing them? They are usually pretty helpful and should have experience with that.
OP maybe_si 06 Jan 2014
In reply to crayefish:

Yeah I spoke to them already, the chap was very helpful, am just looking for other opinions?
 Si Withington 06 Jan 2014
In reply to maybe_si:
What you really want are some bails off Petzl spikes, like the Dart, Dartwin, Lynx, perhaps Sarken etc. The problem is that they don't see them as spares.

Not tried the new narrow bail though, for what it's worth.
Post edited at 13:57
molly2202 06 Jan 2014
In reply to maybe_si:

I have Phantom Guides, and G14's - got the assymetrical bars and narrow bails from Needle's....the fit is great, though not been able to test them in anger.
 Gazlynn 06 Jan 2014
In reply to:

> What you really want are some bails off Petzl spikes, like the Dart, Dartwin, Lynx, perhaps Sarken etc. The problem is that they don't see them as spares.

> Not tried the new narrow bail though, for what it's worth.

I got some spare petzl dart front bails you can have for a tenner posted.

cheers

Gaz
 crayefish 06 Jan 2014
In reply to molly2202:

Did you find the asymmetrical bars were needed? I have the semi-step in type on my ultras and found they fit well with the current bars. I guess the full step in are less forgiving?
OP maybe_si 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Gazlynn:

Just emailed you cheers!
 Gazlynn 06 Jan 2014
In reply to maybe_si:

Just replied

cheers

Gaz
 planetmarshall 06 Jan 2014
In reply to maybe_si:

I have a pair of BD Stingers with the narrow bail and Phantom Guide Ultras. The fit is still not ideal, allowing the front of the crampon to move sideways. A bash with a hammer would probably fix that, when I get around to it.

Andrew.
 NottsRich 06 Jan 2014
In reply to maybe_si:

Not Phantoms, but Jorasses. I got narrower bails for the Cyborgs and they improved the fit, but still a gap on each side. Unfortunately I have the 'Pro' version rather than the basket/strap setup so can't start bending the front posts to improve the fit. Quite annoying really.
In reply to NottsRich:

I sold a pair of Cyborgs for this reason. Petzl spikes on Jorasses = bomber
 NottsRich 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Si Withington:

You're not the first I've heard say that! Which would you recommend out of these?

Dart, Dartwin, Lynx, Sarken.

Scottish and alpine ice and mixed. If they fit Maestrale RS ski boots as well then that would be an added bonus!
In reply to NottsRich:
Can't comment on the ski boots, but climbing-wise I have used both Dartwins and Lynx on my Jorasses and the fit is perfect. Absolutely zero movement, no sideways flex, no movement inside the front bail, no big gaps under the toe of the boot, no gaps around the heal section. Am currently climbing on the Lynx and love them for everything Scottish, continental, whatever.

PS: Darts and Dartwins are the same crampon, just one has a mono front section
Post edited at 16:30
 Gazlynn 06 Jan 2014
In reply to NottsRich:

I've had a pair of jorasses and I now use a pair of phantom guides.

Both in my opinion have been an absolute nightmare to get a decent fit with crampons.

I nearly sold a pair of dartwins on here a couple of years ago and thank god I didn't as I think out of the box they are the best fitting.

I have now gone to a basket fitting g12 for the low grade that I climb which is good but still nowhere near perfect and keep the dartwins when getting dragged up the steeper stuff.

I have heard that the lynx is a great fit but I boke at the price tag.

cheers

Gaz

NottsRich 07 Jan 2014
In reply to Gazlynn:

Thanks both - some interesting comments there. Anyone want to buy a pair of BD Cyborg Pros? Good condition with plenty of life left in them!
 Gazlynn 07 Jan 2014
In reply to NottsRich:

As mentioned in an earlier posts regarding crampon fit.

Keep an eye out for the grivel converters that the guy from Needlesports said they would be in stock pretty soon

http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Winter-Climbing-Equipment/Crampons/Cr...

They could be a solution?

cheers

Gaz

NottsRich 07 Jan 2014
In reply to Gazlynn:

Thanks, will keep my eyes open for them. They might solve a few problems!
molly2202 12 Jan 2014
In reply to maybe_si:
Sorry for late reply..... Asymmetric bars are deffo v good.... Really gets a sound fit. Call needle sports. They'll sort you out. Steve uses Phantoms so followed his modification advice......hope you have a jolly trip!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...