UKC

Email hacked - what do I do next?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pids 06 Jan 2014
It would appear that my e-mail account has been hacked - I am not currently in the Philipenes requiring money to be deposited in an account!

Now, what do I do next?

Is it just a case of changing the password on my e-mail account or do I need to do something else?
 london_huddy 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Pids:
Change the password for your email account and if you're lazy on passwords, change it for any other accounts which use that email address and password.

Then run some malware and antivirus sweeps in case the bad men got your password through something logging key strokes on your computer.
Post edited at 13:27
OP Pids 06 Jan 2014
In reply to london_huddy:

ta, password changed
will have a look at home puter tonight and run through antivirus stuff
barstewards
 london_huddy 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Pids:

No worries.

Do make sure you cover off other accounts too; iTunes, Amazon, Facebook, LinkedIn etc -if the code that the spammers are running checks, bad things can happen if you leave something open to them.
needvert 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Pids:

Gmail supports two factor authentication, and shows the IPs recently logged in.
drmarten 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Pids:

I received an email from you today (I think we exchanged emails a few years back through UKC), I assume my email address was left in your address book.

I've been fighting my own virus since yesterday, something called
Adware:Win32/Adpeak (or similar). It stopped my Internet browsers (alternately IE and Chrome), Live Mail and Windows Update.
I've managed to run a full scan with MS Security Essentials and also about to find/run a Malware program as well. I love a fun day before a night shift.
 JLS 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Pids:

I just made the bold assumption that a recent email from you was in fact spam and I've binned it without opening. I'm guessing I may now never get an email from you again as you've now been marked as a spammer! :¬)
 Mikkel 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Pids:

I was just about to write you, appoligicing for not sending you money :0)
 Jack B 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Pids:

You might also want to change your secret questions and/or back-up address and/or whatever else your email provider uses when you click the `forgotten password' link.
OP Pids 06 Jan 2014
In reply to all :

Magic, just magic.

After changing the password on my email account I have not received a single e-mail, and when trying on different device I find that it is not connecting to my account.

Aarrrggghh, I hate it when things don't work they way they should!
 m dunn 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Pids:

Didn't think you were. Might have paid to send you there
 Wee Davie 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Pids:

I sent 2 meeellion dollar to help you in you difficulties.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...