UKC

Cheap and cheerful accomodation, Cornwall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 the sheep 06 Jan 2014
Myself and one, possibly two others are off to Cornwall hopefully in May time (avoiding half term). Climbing wise we would like to visit Commando Ridge but would also be there to snorkel and spearfish during the day and beach/sea fih at night. We would like somewhere by the sea if posible so we can have a few cold ones whilst wetting a line and not have too far to walk. Driving to commando ridge is not a problem so doesnt have to be in that immediate area. We are happy with very basic accomodation as this will purely be a base for outdoor stuff.
Cheers in advance, Sheepy.
 Martin Bennett 06 Jan 2014
In reply to the sheep:

Check out the local caravan sites via Google - we've had some very cheap deals off season, which you are.
OP the sheep 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Martin Bennett:

Cheers, do you find phoning round last minute helps?
 Martin Bennett 06 Jan 2014
In reply to the sheep:

To be honest it's always BEEN last minute - we're always late to commit ourselves, so I'm not sure if we did any better than we would have done if booking earlier. I think they're just glad to let them out rather than have them standing idle making nothing.
In reply to the sheep:

Snorkelling. In Cornwall. In May. Are you completely mad? It'll be bleeding freezing.

However. That time of year, the most consistent snorkelling conditions are going to be around Lamorna Cove, so if you look at the stretch between there and Porthcurno, you won't go too far wrong.

In terms of accommodation, you've two main choices for camping: Treverven, over the top of St Loy, or Treen, near Porthcurno. Treverven's a nice, quiet spot, but not so close to a beach as such; Treen's within easy reach of the Porthcurno strip - and more importantly, right next to one of the best pubs in Cornwall - the Logan Rock Inn. In terms of accommodation within bricks and mortar, check out t'internet - May isn't a massively busy time, although the weather is often cracking in the second half, so you may get some good deals in the area. There are a good few rental places in Lamorna and, despite the distance from a decent pub, this would probably be your ideal spot.

Oh, and a quick message from the wife (a diver): if she or any if her mates spot you in the water with a spear gun, she/they'll be delighted to introduce you to the art of body piercing. Just the messenger, you understand

Martin
OP the sheep 07 Jan 2014
In reply to maisie:

Hi, went to Dorset last May and was happy in the water there for a good couple of hours so would imagine Cornwall would be warmer? Anyway great info on where to stay, cheers

Quick question, why the antagonism towards spearfishing? Its perfectly legal, we are well aware of the size limits on the different species and take only for the table. Its far less indiscriminate than rod and line fishing. Spearing whilst diving is a no no, but whilst freediving its considered sporting. Would be interested to know the reasons so as to not offend others who enjoy the coast and sea.

In reply to the sheep:

Just the messenger, just the messenger!

I gather that most of the perceived issues are to do with lack of control over ownership of spearguns - any fool can have one - and good old British murk: vis, particularly early in the season when it's less common to have long periods of settled weather, can be poor and even a couple of yards past the target can be opaque. I'm not sure that it's real, full-blown antagonism, anyway - more the kind of 'robust' beasting that closely related sports tend to give each other (trad vs bolts, surfers vs bodyboarders, MTBers vs off-road motorbikers).

You might just manage to catch spider crab season at that point, also - certainly worth packing some heavy gloves and a hook.

But I'd definitely go for the Lamorna - Porthcurno strip. More sheltered, and best sea life. And no, Cornwall won't be warmer than Dorset, particularly on the north coast or round Land's End.
OP the sheep 07 Jan 2014
In reply to maisie:

> Just the messenger, just the messenger!

> I gather that most of the perceived issues are to do with lack of control over ownership of spearguns - any fool can have one -

Thats a fair point, especialy seeing as I have one

Anyway cheers for the pointers on where to go, always fancied climbing at St Loy so that looks perfect.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...