/ Replacing rubber grip on ice axe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Pedro50 on 06 Jan 2014
Have inherited a Camp copy of Chouinard axe, but the rubber grip is totally shot. Any suggestions for replacing, either professional or DIY. Thanks
Mountain Llama on 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Pedro50: Bike inner tube or self amalgamating tape (screwfix)

Si Withington - on 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Pedro50:
Self-amalgmating tape from your local DIY store. However, I've had more success with some brands than others - the best seems to be 'Tape Mammoth SOS Repair Tape'! Alternatively, a friend of mine uses black Stixall http://www.everbuild.co.uk/stix-all - it gives you a similar finish to the grip on Grivel tools, e.g. the Master. Not tried it on my tools yet, but think I will.

Edit: although having re-read your original post I guess you're not going to be cranking some overhanging horror-show with those tools so the Stixall might be OTT
Post edited at 21:04
PPP - on 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Pedro50:

Sugru comes to my mind.
Mountain Llama on 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Si Withington:

Stilxall is very good for fixing skirting boards as well........
blackreaver - on 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Pedro50:

I bought some hockey stick grip tape from sports direct and then wound black electrical tape over it.
It works really well.
maybe_si - on 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Pedro50: plastidip, google it, its amazing! Wrap a thin layer of finger tape round the shaft as a base then paint on a few layers, the bonus is you can pick your colour, i went for a rathet fetching Bright yellow!
ads.ukclimbing.com
Pedro50 on 07 Jan 2014
In reply to maybe_si:

Lots of great advice, thanks a lot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.