UKC

Conditions at ilkley rock valley

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wizzy 07 Jan 2014
What are the conditions like at ilkley rock valley in winter. In particular buttress 6 and countdown to disaster
dirty crimper 07 Jan 2014
In reply to Wizzy:

If its windy it will be dry.The routes don't get much traffic so likely to be quite green. Thevalley doesn't really get any sun so it does get very cold up there too.
 1poundSOCKS 07 Jan 2014
In reply to Wizzy: It's a fairly horrible winter venue, it'll be as cold and green as anywhere (I run past it fairly regularly). I imagine the CtD will be dry, it's an exposed arete after all. If you're willing to abseil down and give it a clean and a brush, I can't see it being a problem. Don't fall off.

ByEek 07 Jan 2014
In reply to Wizzy:

Grim would be the word I would use. Save it for a lovely summer's evening.
 krikoman 07 Jan 2014
In reply to Wizzy:

Wet!
 victorclimber 07 Jan 2014
In reply to Wizzy:

grim sounds about right
OP Wizzy 07 Jan 2014
In reply to victorclimber:

Do you know what the guillotine arête will be like?
 Mick Ward 07 Jan 2014
In reply to Wizzy:

Probably green. But it's a much better bet than anything in Rocky Valley. I went on it in 2001, just after foot and mouth restrictions. It was green and muddy - but still seemed doable (with care).

I walked down to the tea shack to have a little think before the solo/headpoint. We looked at the guy's portable TV. An airplane was flying into a skyscraper. At first, we thought it was special effects.

The date was September 11. 2001. A fateful day in history.

After that, soloing Guillotine seemed obscenely trivial. So I did a load of other soloing for healing.

But it's still there - for you, for me. For happier times.

Just be careful.

Mick
 Jon Stewart 07 Jan 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

> It's a fairly horrible winter venue,

It's a fairly horrible venue!
 1poundSOCKS 07 Jan 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart: It featured on Helicopter Heroes!!! Some chap from down south actually went on holiday up here, and ended up nearly losing his arm. Southerners 0, Yorkshire Gritstone 1.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...