UKC

EasyJet reduce Bike Bag Weigh Limit to 23kg

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ChrisJD 07 Jan 2014

EasyJet have reduced Bike Bag Weigh Limit to 23kg from 32kg - a problem for MTBers and DHers.

Causing a stir on Twitter at moment. SocialMedia may be getting it overturned though...

http://singletrackworld.com/2014/01/easyjet-reduce-sports-baggage-allowance...

https://twitter.com/GreatRock

gethin_allen 07 Jan 2014
In reply to ChrisJD:

When I last used Easyjet to transport a bike I took pretty much a second bike in spare parts (knowing how expensive bike shops in the resorts are) including wheels and tyres. My bike if only a full sus XCish bike but even with everything including body armour and loads of clothes the bike bag only came to 26 kg. I could have easily put some of the stuff into my main luggage to get the weight down to 23 kg. This could be a bit more of an issue with massive DH rigs but they could manage.
 andy 07 Jan 2014
In reply to ChrisJD: Still 3kg more than Jet2!

Enty 07 Jan 2014
In reply to ChrisJD:

Hopefully not a problem for roadies unless you have one of those massive hard shell cases.

E
 kevin stephens 07 Jan 2014
In reply to andy:

But Jet 2 allow you 22kg on your hold bag so not a lot of difference overall. Of course you could just take up road biking instead.......
In reply to Enty:

I recently flew with my alu road bike in a borrowed massive hard shell case with Ryanair, no problems at all
 Enty 07 Jan 2014
In reply to kevin stephens:

Yeah Ryanair don't have the 23 kilo limit though.
I know alot of our guests stuff their cases right up to the 32 kilo limit. It's good for taking wine back

E
 Neil Williams 07 Jan 2014
In reply to Enty:

They do however restrict their standard checked bag to 15kg, which is almost designed to catch people out. Unless you have a huge bag you are very unlikely to go over the more standard legacy-airline 20 or 23kg - I certainly never have, the most I can get to in my trolley case is about 17kg and that's with some heavy stuff e.g. books in it.

Neil
 Enty 07 Jan 2014
In reply to Neil Williams:
You'd have to be a proper douche-bag to get caught out by that because they offer you 15kg or 20kg options at the relevent price when you book.

E
Post edited at 16:20
In reply to Enty:

True, though that is a *very* recent change. Originally they only offered 15kg, and it was in very small print. The addition of a more sensible bag size (albeit at a higher price) is one of their new nicey-nicey things, together with allocated seating and reducing[1] the fine for not printing your boarding card.

[1] easyJet don't charge you at all.

Neil
 timjones 07 Jan 2014

> They do however restrict their standard checked bag to 15kg, which is almost designed to catch people out. Unless you have a huge bag you are very unlikely to go over the more standard legacy-airline 20 or 23kg - I certainly never have, the most I can get to in my trolley case is about 17kg and that's with some heavy stuff e.g. books in it.

15kg isn't exactly a hardship. It's easy enough to fit all your ice climbing gear into the allowance.

In reply to timjones:
It isn't a hardship, but it is IMO designed to catch people out, which is a very unfriendly way of operating. You can fill an average trolley suitcase with normal holiday stuff and you won't go over 20kg however hard you try, but you've got a good chance of going over 15.

Edit: IOW, an astute traveller can get very good value from Ryanair, but I morally don't like the idea of a business that makes money by catching its customers out.

Neil
Post edited at 16:48

the n line booking form is not rocket science
 timjones 07 Jan 2014

> It isn't a hardship, but it is IMO designed to catch people out, which is a very unfriendly way of operating. You can fill an average trolley suitcase with normal holiday stuff and you won't go over 20kg however hard you try, but you've got a good chance of going over 15.

> Edit: IOW, an astute traveller can get very good value from Ryanair, but I morally don't like the idea of a business that makes money by catching its customers out.

How on earth can you go over 15kg with "normal holiday stuff"?

Only a total muppet is going to pack that heavy without checking their allowance IMO.

Doghouse 07 Jan 2014
In reply to timjones:

Errrr not for me it's not I always struggle to make the 20kg allowance and that includes wearing my boots.
 timjones 07 Jan 2014
In reply to Doghouse:

> Errrr not for me it's not I always struggle to make the 20kg allowance and that includes wearing my boots.

Do you mean you struggle to get up to 20kg or down to it?
OP ChrisJD 11 Jan 2014
In reply to ChrisJD:

easyjet have gone back to 32kg for bikes....

http://www.easyjet.com/en/sports-equipment

Another victory for Social Media!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...