/ ice axe pairs/combinations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ow arm - on 07 Jan 2014
Im fairly new to everything winter climbing related so bear with me.

Ive got a DMM cirque and a Raveltik Demon Mountain (hammer).

I plan on just using the Cirque for general walking and mountaineering, but got the Demon (it was on offer) as a second axe that I hope to use for grade II and III winter routes.
Would this pair work for this purpose or would I need to get a second climbing axe?

My reasoning is that Im not going to be using the Demon much and its handy to have a 'walking' axe for approaches/descents etc.
Ander on 07 Jan 2014
In reply to owena:

I'd have said so.
Cameron94 on 07 Jan 2014
In reply to owena:

For routes in those grade brackets that axe combo will work.
smuffy on 07 Jan 2014
In reply to owena:

At that grade don't get too hung up about axes. Pretty much any combination of axes will get you up those sort of routes and it's very useful to have a full on mountaineering axe with you for the walk in/walk off. Happy climbing.
ow arm - on 07 Jan 2014
In reply to Ander:
thanks for the replies so far.
Just out of curiosity what do people do for a full on ice climb which involves a walk in? Do you use a climbing axe as safety for self arrest or carry a third axe?
Post edited at 15:40
CMcBain - on 07 Jan 2014
In reply to owena:

Use one of the climbing axes, in all honesty ice axe braking is a last resort no matter what kinda tool you have. Fall over on a really hard icey slope and you're probably a goner regardless of tool. For me the benefits of ergo tools on steep mixed out weighs their slight disadvantage in ice axe breaking ability over a more 'mountaineeringy' axe.

Sorry, to answer your original question - as has been posted above, that combo will be fine for what you want to do.
ow arm - on 07 Jan 2014
In reply to all:

cheers, glad to know im thinking along the right lines, Im about 2/3ds way through 'The freedom of the Hills' but some stuff like this isnt covered.

Im slightly dissapointed as I was looking for a reason to justify buying more shiny stuff
ads.ukclimbing.com
Jamie B - on 07 Jan 2014
In reply to owena:

I don't know anyone who carries a third tool for the walking part of a climbing day. I'd much sooner walk with something imperfect that climb with it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.