UKC

Northern corries tomorrow?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Shaunmash 07 Jan 2014
Can anyone recommend me any grade I to III routes in the northern corries tomorrow that might be safe? I know that some of the routes will be just above the freezing level - will Fiacaill Couloir be worth a look?
 Cameron94 07 Jan 2014
In reply to Shaunmash:

Make your own decisions once you're in the coire but for an idea of what others considered safe at the time check the winter conditions page http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/winter.html

To avoid the crag aprons and gullies you could always do the walk in, go up fiacaill ridge, along the plateau to 1141 and down the fiacaill a choire cas. The ridge is grade II and the entire loop makes for a quick day generally.
 Andy Nisbet 07 Jan 2014
In reply to Shaunmash:

I know Sneachda very well but there's no way I can say what will be safe without going for a look. Sorry.
Shaunmash 07 Jan 2014
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

Thanks guys, do you think it is worth a look though based on the MWIS and SAIS forecasts? Or could you recommend somewhere else?
 Andy Nisbet 07 Jan 2014
In reply to Shaunmash:

A similar problem, in that conditions may have changed a lot since 2 days ago, or may not have. Somewhere like Hell's Lum Crag may well be OK but the weather is windy for walking over there, it may (or may not) be thawing. But if you want a suggestion, no promises, then that is it.
kevinr 07 Jan 2014
In reply to Shaunmash:
Fiacaill Ridge? would not touch anything else just now at that grade (thats me). Lots of fresh looking avalanche debris around the corrie today and lots of routes well buried. Alladins Mirror direct which is low down "looked" like a short steep grade I snow ramp. Thats to give you an example of how much snow there is and not a recommendation to climb it! ;=)
Post edited at 21:24

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...