UKC

Bob's Knob Collapses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 07 Jan 2014

Pompom Rock at Portland has been destroyed by the storms. Apparently some refer to it as Bob's Knob ;0)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-25634199
Edit: Sorry, didn't realise it had already been done
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=574616
Post edited at 22:26
 DreadyCraig 07 Jan 2014
In reply to FesteringSore:

Were there any routes on it?
I had just been looking at the pictures on the BBC site. Makes you realise how strong some of the storm was.
 Jim Brooke 08 Jan 2014

This thread title is better than mine!

A few problems have been condemned to history :
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=209780
 balmybaldwin 08 Jan 2014

Makes me wonder what damage has been done on blacknor beach. I see the cove inn is ok though, love having a pint there with a plate of seafood after a good day out
Ste Brom 08 Jan 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Im only replying so the 'warm and wet' thread is underneath
 Choss 08 Jan 2014
In reply to Ste Brom:

I Thought this thread was About the guy in the photo in the real man thread :-D
 crayefish 08 Jan 2014

He should have taken those blue pills...
OP FesteringSore 08 Jan 2014
In reply to crayefish:

> He should have taken those blue pills...
Nice One

Gaijin 08 Jan 2014

I grew up on Portland and don't ever remember calling it Bobs Knob.

In-fact, Bob's Knob was an area of cliff on the infamous walk to Portland Bill we used to jump off into the water...and that was off the south-east coast.

The Ivanator 08 Jan 2014
 cfer 08 Jan 2014
In reply to Gaijin:

Same...(is that Mr Lindsay by any chance)

Never heard it referred to as Bobs Knob
 Mick Ward 08 Jan 2014
In reply to The Ivanator:

> So was it Dog Rock, Pom Pom Rock or Bob's Knob?

Dog Rock.

> You certainly would have been lucky to escape serious injury jumping from the top of Dog/Pom Pom/Bob's Rock the water is pretty shallow on all sides.

Barring some ginormous tide (and even with that?) you'd almost certainly have wrecked yourself.

> Pulpit rock... has a few good DWS/trad lines on it.

Have just looked at the database and seen The Good of Sleep (should be The God of Sleep) and Chymerie as S1. They're solos, not DWS! If you fall off either, you'll almost certainly die. OK, Chymerie is just a couple of moves but The God of Sleep demands steadiness.

Although Swirling Pool has received DWS ascents, with a little ingenuity it can be enjoyed as a pleasant HVS, up a nice flake. That's how I did it. Otherwise you're risking your life on snappy rock (for soloing), above an horrific landing. Conversely the rock on Chymerie and The God of Sleep is superb - like a fragment of the Verdon in Dorset.

I had reservations about writing these up at all. They're right beside the car-park, things feel safe and they're lures for the unwary. Anybody ending up in that tidal race won't be coming back.

Pulpit Rock demands respect - which I, for one, was more than willing to give.

Be safe, out there.

Mick
Bob's Knob is the very small bit of rock to the north below the next crane.

Locally it is know as either Dog or Pom Pom Rock. I grew up knowing that tiny cove as pom pom bay.
 Welsh Kate 08 Jan 2014
In reply to airbournegrapefruit:

Any idea of the damage to Chesil Beach? BBC website said yesterday its profile had been changed, but I can't find any info on it, or whether that was just limited to the Chiswell end.
 The Ivanator 08 Jan 2014
In reply to Mick Ward:

In the present conditions I wouldn't go near Pulpit Rock, I have done Swirling Pool and Rapture of the Deep (both your lines I see) on a sunny day (by lowering in from a belay rig and top roping out) - they are both good routes, but like you say the currents round there are scary and even though Rapture has a decent fall zone at high tide, exiting the water wouldn't be straightforward I suspect. The routes there were left out of the 2012 Dorset Rockfax - I guess due to space, but perhaps safety was a factor too.
I'm hoping to get to the Ruckle stake bash on the 26th - may see you there!
 Mick Ward 08 Jan 2014

Look forward to it. There's a visceral joy to stake bashing at Swanage!

Mick
 Mick Ward 08 Jan 2014

A coda re Pulpit Rock. Perhaps my views are tinged by the time of year. I did the routes in May, when the water was still cold - and the currents were scary. Although I'm a strong swimmer, I don't have much body fat and usually start to get hypothermia within minutes while swimming off Portland. Although the routes were physically relatively easy, I knew that, if a hold snapped, it was most probably the end. And, because the routes are so tiny, it all seemed a bit surreal. Subsequently I worried about people getting suckered in, on the basis that superficially it all looks very friendly - which it does.

Hopefully Pulpit Rock will still be standing and hopefully folk can continue to enjoy its pleasures - carefully.

Mick
 Gaijin 09 Jan 2014
In reply to cfer:

It is indeed....and a good day to you Dave!

In reply to Mick Ward:

I disagree. Pulpit is a tame puppy dog, again one we jumped off into the water all the time. I think I was 10 the first time I jumped off it and started climbing back up it! Ah...blissful youth.
 Mick Ward 09 Jan 2014
In reply to Gaijin:

Well, we really must get out soloing together some time.

Mick
 Sherlock 09 Jan 2014
In reply to gaijin and Mick:
I think you guys should be posting in the Real Men thread......

cfer 09 Jan 2014
In reply to Gaijin:

> It is indeed....and a good day to you Dave!

> In reply to Mick Ward:

I think I was 10 the first time I jumped off it and started climbing back up it! Ah...blissful youth.

Good day to you also

I think I must have been about the same age also, it was a rite of passage for those of us that grew up on Portland.

Gaijin 09 Jan 2014
In reply to cfer:

Jumping/climbing up Stax was the biggest of them all!

Last time I was there, I noticed stax had been bolted!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...