UKC

bike & ski insurance - off piste (and home insurance)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ClimberEd 08 Jan 2014
A couple of linked questions…

Any good suggestions for ski insurance that covers off piste? I have always gone with the BMC but they are getting very expensive. It needs to be for skiing without a guide.

Any good suggestions for home insurance that covers sports equipment outside of the home? (and abroad?)

(specifically expensive bikes and ski gear)

Natwest should be shot for the free insurance they offer with their account, if you read the small print it is derisible.

Thanks and happy new year to everyone
 blurty 08 Jan 2014
In reply to ClimberEd:

Austrian alpine club for off-piste & alpine climbing

M&S for home insurance with generous bike cover

Some sort of cheap annual travel insurance with car hire CDW as an extension...... is how I manage the risk myself
 DaveHall246 09 Jan 2014
In reply to ClimberEd:

We've just insured with Snowcard - cover can be tailored to what you need, annual or single trip. There were some other recommendations for it on here.
Shearwater 21 Jan 2014
In reply to Helas:

> I think that you should concern with an expert to solve this issue.

I think you accidentally proof your not a expert.
 duchessofmalfi 21 Jan 2014
In reply to Shearwater:

Yep the BMC has gone through the roof lately and snowcard is much more reasonable. They also seem to have sorted out their website etc and made it easier to find what you need...
 Alex1 21 Jan 2014
In reply to ClimberEd:

Ski Club of Great Britain are decent and can remove bits you don't need. Think BMC has gone ski high as they are trying to avoid people using it for skiing cover, understand they had some very expensive claims for injuries in the US etc.
 Cardi 21 Jan 2014
In reply to ClimberEd:

Austria Alpine Club (includes off piste cover)
Directline home insurance with contents outside home including abroad
Cheap travel insurance to cover travel plan mishaps, piste closure, some belongings and medical cover as well usually
 LastBoyScout 21 Jan 2014
In reply to ClimberEd:

I've used Voyager for travel insurance, including off-piste without a guide - seems pretty reasonable via my broker.

Used to have my contents insurance with Norwich Union/Aviva, because they covered my kayak (and bikes, I think) for damage while in use, not just for theft. Had to change policy due to other items I now need to cover, though - can't remember the details of current policy, but could check for you.
climatechangeisreal 02 Feb 2014
In reply to ClimberEd:
I would recommend AAC(UK) membership, you get mountain rescue insurance included (not the same as travel insurance so get an EHIC card & check your banks freebie travel insurance for luggage etc). You also get regular newsletter, discount on training and discount on alpine huts. Courses at annual AGM are free, tend to include first aid, avalanche awareness, navigation, etc.
Post edited at 22:10

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...