UKC

Thoughts on Big Wall soloing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JossGuyer 08 Jan 2014
Big wall soloing, the closest to 'the edge' one can be?
 Jonny2vests 08 Jan 2014
In reply to JossGuyer:

Free soloing, or just "on your own" climbing?
OP JossGuyer 08 Jan 2014
In reply to Jonny2vests:

free soloing, no ropes or gear
 Jonny2vests 08 Jan 2014
In reply to JossGuyer:

Well, there are some relatively easy ones, I'd like to solo Espolon Centrale if I lived on the right continent, certainly couldn't be arsed to pitch it.

The solo of the Brandler Hasse impressed me, a mere 17 pitches, but Huber spent a good deal of time chalking bad holds before he went for it. Certainly more variables than soloing something solid.

But you can't help but wonder at the size of Honnold's balls.
 the power 08 Jan 2014
In reply to JossGuyer:

> free soloing, no ropes or gear

Billy no mates
 Spike 08 Jan 2014
In reply to JossGuyer:

or perhaps some of Ueli Steck (sp?) such as
http://www.wimp.com/eigerrecord/
or Annapurna
http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/news/in-field/2013/11/07/ueli-steck-histori...

and many more impressive big climbs to boot.

I suppose it can be a problem defining close to the edge - because everyone's "edge" is different
OP JossGuyer 08 Jan 2014
In reply to Spike:

Yes but, as a whole the perception of 'the edge' is shared by 99.99% of the population, those who don't perceive these risks as others do are the ones who toe the line..i think anyway
 Spike 08 Jan 2014
In reply to JossGuyer:

sorry I don't agree that 99.99% of the population have the same view of what "the edge" is - that is exactly the point I was making - we don't all share the same perception, not even closely.

Michael Gordon 08 Jan 2014
In reply to JossGuyer:

For what it's worth, I agree that it sounds about as 'close to the edge' as one can be (within reason).
 remus Global Crag Moderator 08 Jan 2014
In reply to Jonny2vests:

In a similar vein to Huber on the Brandler Hasse I think Hansjorg Auer's solo of The Fisch is pretty impressive. 850m, 7b+...
 Jonny2vests 08 Jan 2014
In reply to remus:

> In a similar vein to Huber on the Brandler Hasse I think Hansjorg Auer's solo of The Fisch is pretty impressive. 850m, 7b+...

Yep.
 Peter Holder 08 Jan 2014
In reply to Jonny2vests:

Agreed, Most of the holds on the Brandler Hasse (especially the crux pitches) are positive which means if you have 9a sport ability (like Huber) i'm sure he could just pull harder to get out of trouble. The Fish, i believe, is a technical 7b slab, I think Hansjorg Auer had never climbed the crux pitch clean before his solo (may be wrong). The BH may feel more exposed due to its ridiculously overhanging nature so could pose more mental challenges. Both very impressive ascents in my opinion, but the Fish may just be that bit more.
 Lukem6 08 Jan 2014
In reply to JossGuyer:

> free soloing, no ropes or gear

really? because a lot of big wall soloist seem to carry a little aid gear for certain routes. even honnold himself has claimed free solo with a little gear. Surely solo simply means alone, and in America free means trad
 Cameron94 09 Jan 2014
In reply to JossGuyer:

Soloing hard winter/alpine & routes in the greater ranges has always left me more in awe than solo big wall routes.

Although some of the stuff Honold does blows my mind!
In reply to JossGuyer:

Thoughts on Big Wall soloing? Mine tend to be; "F**k that for a game of soldiers."
 David Coley 09 Jan 2014
In reply to Lukem6:

> ..... Surely solo simply means alone, and in America free means trad

I'm not sure free = trad to an American. I think they would use free to mean "not aid".

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...