UKC

climbing and pregnancy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 08 Jan 2014
Ive a friend who I climb with occasionally, only diff or vdiff at most, but usually grade 1 or 2 scrambling, and she may be pregnant. So at what stage in pregnancy would it be wise to consider stopping climbing?
I know its good to keep active but Ive heard that overstretching can be harmful to the parasite at later stages.
 Otis 08 Jan 2014
In reply to owena:

There's another current thread in the rock talk forum with thoughts on this that may be useful (titled about harnesses for pregnant women). Apologies for lack of link-typing this on the phone!

Mike
In reply to owena:

I think the early stages are meant to be okay, I can't remember till when exactly put the feutus is protected by the pelvis early on, when it moves up the way you have to be more careful.
I climbed throughout my pregnancy but climbed some things that looking back on now I think was it really worth it?! It's only climbing after all!

It's a very personal choice though...
 Climbingspike 08 Jan 2014
In reply to owena:
If you do a google search on Jeff and Breda Arkless this will give you some back ground to a most remarkable woman. I was lucky to climb with her a few times but the time I remember best was at Gogath. She had six of her kids go for a walk on moors behind the cliffs, all supervised by the eldest (16) ish. Meanwhile she was leading something like North west passage with child no Severn who was only a little over 8 months. Yes she was that close to termination. Hope this helps answer something for your friend.
 Carolyn 09 Jan 2014
In reply to owena:

Over stretching might be a problem for the mum, but I don't think it's likely to be harmful to the baby? Ligaments (particularly around the pelvis) get looser in pregnancy to allow everything to move around enough to let the baby out, which is why you can "over stretch".

Personally, I climbed until 7 months or so, and was still fell walking at well over 8 months. Another problem is that some people find a large bump throws their balance off, which would probably make climbing odd, but I can't say I noticed it.
In reply to owena:

Not scientific, but based on my experience I was fine climbing up to about 6 months pregnant max with both my pregnancies
I stopped bouldering and routed instead, as I was certain that falling would not do me any good, plus I only seconded or top roped, no leading
I stopped at 6 months because my stretchy ligaments were making my wrists very weak and prone to injury
Oh, and I had to stop for a month or so around the 2-3 month mark due to morning sickness. Throwing up at Froggatt after seconding a HS made me realise I should lay-off when feeling that rough!
 Bulls Crack 09 Jan 2014
In reply to Climbingspike:

Shows what people are prepared to do, not necessarily that its a good idea
bilbo 1 09 Jan 2014
In reply to owena:

My wife climbed the day before she gave birth - its all about risk management, no leading and no bouldering and your friend will be fine.

We went on the rule of thumb of do less, make it easier and if you feel a twinge stop.

Common sense really....
 iccle_bully 09 Jan 2014
In reply to owena:

Tell your friend to listen to her body and no one else!

Also, google 'cragmama'.
 helix 09 Jan 2014
In reply to owena:

I have to laugh when this one comes up, as Mrs Helix started throwing up after about a month, and didn't stop until the hooligans were dragged out. Climbing was not an option!
OP The Potato 09 Jan 2014
In reply to owena:

brilliant response as always people, thanks, especially as there is a similar thread ongoing as mentioned eariler.
 KiwiPrincess 10 Jan 2014
In reply to owena:

I have friends that climbed all through hard. I climbed and biked normally until 15 weeks, ( in difficulty, I had to rest due to tiredness a lot though) then tummy felt uncomfortable so started to make changes. At 30 weeks I started to feel ligaments but hardly climbed anyway as easy routes weren't worth the effort of bending over to get shoes on for the fun, and my feet hurt from extra weight on them.
I think your body tells you. I just eased up as I got more tired or achey. Some symptoms come and go as your body adjusts.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...