UKC

Flaine - Ugly but good to ski?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JuanTinco 08 Jan 2014
Hi All,

Looking at going to Flaine towards the end of the Month, reading mixed reviews, most people talk about it being a bit ugly, which we don't really care about. Is it worth it for the Skiing though? Will be a mix of intermediate/advanced skiers and boarders.

Apologies if you live in Flaine, i'm not saying you have an ugly house!
 deepstar 08 Jan 2014
In reply to Jonshef:

Great skiing but in my limited experience(I`ve been there twice) it can be crowded and getting back to the car at the end of the day is manic.
 Jack_Lewin 08 Jan 2014
In reply to Jonshef:

It's not the prettiest but the skiing I found to be good for me, happy on reds and like the odd black run. Just got back from that area (was in les carroz but got the grand massive pass to link in Flaine). Some really nice reds in Flaine itself with one or two blacks if you fancy them. Get over towards les carroz and morillon and there's plenty more. Some good food to be had in Flaine too.
OP JuanTinco 08 Jan 2014
In reply to deepstar:

Thanks for your responses,

looks like the grand massif pass should see us alrite, lets hope for a bit more snow now
 Will Smith 08 Jan 2014
In reply to Jonshef:

Had one of my best ever skiing holidays in Flaine (granted we were extremely fortunate with weather/snow). The main bit of town is definitely ugly but the overall atmosphere I found quite cool as you're in a sort of giant snow bowl. If you can, I would highly recommend staying in the Montsoleil (or "Flaine Forêt"). It's ski in/ski out and is a much nicer building than the old concrete stuff. Also has sauna/steam room and outdoor heated pool!

The skiing is great and I found some brilliant off piste (though apparently there are some dangerous holes early in the season).
 gethin_allen 08 Jan 2014
In reply to Jonshef:

I've been there a couple of times, once stayed in the resort and other times stayed in connecting resorts. The time we stayed there we were done over a bit because the lift connecting it to the other resorts was broken so there was no ski link. We did get the bus over the one day but it was such a hassle.
I don't really go skiing to admire the architecture of the resort.
 Anoetic 09 Jan 2014
In reply to Jonshef:

If the snow is good stay in samoens. It is a great small village connected to flaine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...