UKC

Mudguards

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Richard Carter 09 Jan 2014
What I'm looking for are some mudguards that will fit with 6800 brakes and also onto my bike (Giant Defy). When I bought my bike about 4 years ago (roughly?) it came with some mudguards that were specific to the bike - at the time the brakes on it were 6700. The muguards went on no problem. I recently swapped the bike over to 6800 and now I have a problem :-P The 6800 brakes seem to have much tighter clearances and so the muguards don't fit!
 gear boy 09 Jan 2014
In reply to Richard Carter:

sks race blade or crud road racer mk2 would be options
 steev 09 Jan 2014

Lots of folk use Crud Roadracer guards where clearance is an issue- they seem to fit almost any bike. They didn't fit my ribble though, so I ended up with the SKS raceblade longs, which are a bit more expensive but even more likely to fit.

Cheers guys, I'll try the Crud Roadracer mk2's I think.
 Andrew W 09 Jan 2014

I've just fitted a set of roadracer mk2s to my cannondale six13 and they seem to provide good coverage and don't need any mounting points and are easy to fit and remove, not tested them in the rain yet but they look like they will work well.
 nniff 09 Jan 2014

The Crud ones didn't come close to fitting on my last bike (i.e. wouldn't fit through the gap at all, let alone with clearance). I ended up with SKS race blades. On my new bike, not even those will fit on the front wheel and some serious bending of the wire was needed to get one to fit on the back. The SKS ones can also be removed in a trice for a non-wet day.
Was looking at my old mudguards and the bit that won't fit through the brakes is metal... so I'm going to try bending it a bit first. I only use skinny tyres, so the lack of clearance on the inside won't be an issue!

These mudguards work so well and with no issues. Half thinking of getting some old 6700/7900 calipers just to use for winter :-P

:-D
 RBK 10 Jan 2014

Get the SKS Race Blade Longs they're easily the best for bikes without much clearance. The Crud ones are rubbish, the built in brush is only there to disguise the constant rubbing!
 Phil79 10 Jan 2014

Crud raceguards fit my Spec Allez pretty well, have used them for the last three winters and they provide good protection. They are a little delicate and I've had to replace the tail section after it fell off somewhere (they come in sections and are held together by plastic screws). Crud provide spares for a reasonable sum.

Why modern bike lack so much clearance is beyond me, I'd love to be able to fit proper sks guards.
 Enty 10 Jan 2014

Before buying Race Blades - you should all try riding behind someone who uses these on a wet day

E
 RBK 10 Jan 2014
In reply to Enty: Agreed but the long ones have sorted this out at last!

LastBoyScout 10 Jan 2014
In reply to RBK:

I tried putting some SKS-style ones on my hack bike - they were rubbish and spent half the time rubbing the wheels. I even tried using zip ties instead of the useless rubber straps to hold them on more securely. In the end, I took them off when one of the supports broke.

Have seen a mudguard in a local bike shop that fits on an arm that hooks into the rear drop-out and seemed pretty secure. Chap in the shop seemed to think it did a good job of keeping him dry and the water out of the face of whoever is behind you, even though they were only about 8" long - what put me off buying one was the ~£35 price tag
 steev 10 Jan 2014
In reply to Enty:

Is this still a problem with the new long style ones? Nobody's complained about mine yet but I haven't had them very long.
 Enty 10 Jan 2014
In reply to steev:
> Is this still a problem with the new long style ones? Nobody's complained about mine yet but I haven't had them very long.

TBH I haven't seen the long ones but I used to ride with a pretty serious club in Lancashire during the winter.
Between October and March full length guards were obligatory - most lads would make their own mud flaps too which almost touched the ground.

I did try Raceblades once. I always thought they were the shittest cycling accessory I've ever come across, from fitting them to using them - everything about them. About as useful as Spokey Dokeys.

E
Post edited at 14:11
In reply to Enty:

Well with a bit of bodging I managed to get the old ones on :-D
They're a lot heavier than the Raceblades, but they're good at keeping the spray and stuff down so that's good.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...