UKC

Mountaineering in Nepal May 2014

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rashwell 09 Jan 2014
Looking for any advice/contacts for arranging mountaineering in Nepal in May.

Will have 2 1/2 weeks for mountaineering, currently travelling alone so looking either for recommendations for guided groups, but would prefer to arrange something less commercial if there are others interested?
Only 'package trip' I have found in the time frame is to Island Peak but am ideally looking to do something a bit more technical. Will be my first time to Nepal but have done Alpine routes up to AD+.

Any advice much appreciated.
Thanks
 CliffPowys 09 Jan 2014
In reply to rashwell:
You could have a look at Lobuje West (6145m/PD+) or Kyazo Ri (6186 m/AD). Both are in the Namche/Everest area and are easy to access.

Bear in mind the effects of the monsoon. You will find the requirements for a local guide here:

http://www.nepalmountaineering.org/noticespage-12-Climbing%20Rules

A climb for one person can easily be organised via agencies in Kathmandu.

You might consider spending more than seventeen days on this to allow for acclimatisation. This would be particularly important if you have not been above 5000m before.

Have a great trip!
Post edited at 21:58
OP rashwell 10 Jan 2014
In reply to CliffPowys:

Thanks for that. Do you have any contacts for these 'agencies in Kathmandu'? I am a bit hesitant to leave everything unplanned in the hope that I can organise something when I get there, as I have tried a similar approach in other places and then mountaineering plans have not materialised...
JamieG 06 Feb 2014
In reply to rashwell:

My wife and I climbed Kyazo Ri with Ang Rita Treks a couple of years ago. Excellent experience and not too costly despite having the full works - Sherpa guide, cook, kitchen boy, yakman and tents.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...