UKC

What did you pay for what your wear outdoors?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FreshSlate 09 Jan 2014
You can include footwear and give several different options if you wish.

Okay I'll go first, only just started buying bits of gear so it will look a bit odd (don't winter climb yet either!)

Winter: Jottnar Fjorm £295 + Mountain Equipment eclipse £90 + Cheap hoody £15 + primark pants £10 + Asda or Topman underwear/socks £10 + 5.10 Chase £75

Winter = £495

Summer: Underwear/socks: £10 + shorts (from where ever) £25 + cotton t-shirt £15 + causual hoody £40 + marmot hardshell £50 (in pack) + evolv cruzer £50

Summer = £140/190

Mr-Cowdrey 09 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

Winter/Alpine:

Base Layer: Arcteryx SV £55
Fleece: ME Eclipse £90
Insulation layer: Mountain Hardwear thermostatic hooded jacket £135
Softshell: RAB Exodus £130
Hardshell: Patagonia M10 £350

Thermal leggings: Marmot £35
Softshell troos (summer alpine): Mammut Advance Base Jump II £145
Bibs: MH Synchro £100+
Hardshell troos: Sherpa Lithang Pant £180

£1230+

But thats RRP, and I've never paid full price for gear

But looking at that... holy shit!! And that's not including gloves, hat, pack etc or any climbing gear!

If you see me out this winter, nick me instead of the car
 Cameron94 09 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

Winter;

Boots; scarpa phantom guides £440
socks; Bridgedale sumits £20
Trousers; haglofs skarn £130
Base; M.E something £45
Mid; M.E orbital £130
Hardshell jkt; M.E kamatcha £290
Hardshell trousers; M.E samples of Karakorum £200
Buff; £20
Hat; £15
Gloves; £90
Belay jkt; M.E fitzroy £190

Total around £1490

I don't think I've paid full price for anything on that list though.

As for summer climbing if it's not in the hills I'll be happy in jeans and a t-shirt.

OP FreshSlate 09 Jan 2014
In reply to Cameron94:

Yeah you have a point with that. Summer just just wear whatever, guess it's winter that's the expensive part! Still, there's fancy approach shoes and 'cragging trousers'. Maybe people wear a named summer baselayer.
 RockAngel 09 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

Seeing as im on a restricted budget, as little as possible. Got a brand new pair if leather walking boots for £8 from a charity shop. Used to wear an old work fleece and combats. Other things have been gifts that I've asked for. A pair of aldi gaitors. An old baseball hat in summer and a beanie in winter. Fleece gloves from tesco. A fleece jumper from decathlon that I picked up for £3 new from a charity shop.
In reply to RockAngel:

Reckon you could give a honest estimation of the average kit your wear out and in what situation?

The price thing is tricky, maybe RRPs are best, for memory/comparison reasons but for some items the street price is always significantly lower.
 Clarence 09 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

Winter hillwalking, today I wore:

Scarpa Mantas (£90 in 1995)
Bridgedale socks (£14)
Trekmates Goretex Gaiters (£25)
Kiwi trousers (£15 in 1999)
Regatta overtrousers (£30)
Decathlon merino baselayer (£15)
Decathlon thick fleece (£25)
Berghaus Mera Peak jacket (£150 in 1999)
Lowe Mountain Cap (£10 triplepoint version from a bargain bucket in Gaynor Sports)

And I had a Decathlon softshell (£30) and fleece pullover (£8) in my sack for the journey home.
In reply to Clarence:
I totalled that too £387

Though I imagine I should have adjusted for inflation!
Post edited at 21:16
 RockAngel 09 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

Boots are peter storm. And the jumper is from decathlon but think it would probably be about a tenner. Gaitors were £8 ten years ago. Rest is old work clothes that I was given for work. Lightweight combats and a fleece jacket in the summer. Just put some thermals on underneath that I got from peacocks in the winter. My waterproof trousers were £15 in the sale in millets last year. And a 3in 1 coat jacket from aldi that cost £25 about 8 years ago.
The boots were the best buy, a size smaller than most of my shoes but an oh so comfy fit.
 Clarence 09 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

Oops, accidentally deleted my last line while posting. I meant to say...about £400 but if I had to buy new probably £600 or more. My Mera Peak is on its last gasp and I have just been looking at replacements, chuff me they are pricey!
 Blue Straggler 09 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

Winter climbing, so this is all my most expensive stuff:
Scarpa Grandes Jorasses boots £190
Mountain Technology C3 crampons £31
Merino long johns (Aldi) £16
Quechua soft shell trousers (second hand) £20ish
Merino T-shirt (Quechua clearout) £8
Any one of several fleeces at about £10-15
Cobolt thin down jacket £25 or Wedze thicker 50% feather, 50% down £15 (discounted)
Aldi softshell £15 (half price but I also have a new one which was £25)
Lowe Alpine mountain cap £20
Salewa Helium helmet £35
Cat 4 sunglasses free (present) or Bloc goggles £16
Outdoor Research gloves £30

And in the bag, Berghaus Deluge waterproof trousers £30 in a sale, and some ancient Helly Hansen mitts that were about £16 in 1992.

DMM Alpine harness free (present)
Grivel Matrix Light axes £120 pair

~£587 (depending on "variable" prices in the list; I tried to balance it out to be fair) not including rucksack. Fully kitted out to second winter routes. I could knock off about £130 if I used Scarpa Mantas and my C2 crampons instead.
 Blue Straggler 09 Jan 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Add Aldi "motorbike" socks £3 and some wool "oversocks" from Morrisons of all places (£1) and maybe £1 or £2 for pants!
OP FreshSlate 10 Jan 2014

> Add Aldi "motorbike" socks £3 and some wool "oversocks" from Morrisons of all places (£1) and maybe £1 or £2 for pants!

It was fair enough until that post but it's getting a little extravagant now!
 Alpenglow 10 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

It's now pretty much a competition of who can do winter with the cheapest clothing
 kwoods 10 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

Jacket - Keela Munro £100 (at the time!)
Fleeces - Various, c. £15
Base layers - £20 (£10 each, top and bottom)
Overtrousers (Berghaus Deluge) - £50
Boots - free! (don't ask)

Hats/Gloves were various Xmas pressies in past years.

£185

Can you tell I'm a student who spent all their money on petrol??
 Oogachooga 10 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

Haha you dont want to know!

Summer
Craghoppers and regatta trousers (various) £2 charity shops
Lowe alpine dry flo type t shirt £2
Various vests and shorts £2-3
Scarpa ascent trainers £80
Lowe alpine triple point jacket £26 ebay

Winter
All xmas presents
Rab sofshell trousers £ free
Hagloffs softshell jacket £ free
Scarpa mustang boots £ free

I always find a bargain haha
 TobyA 10 Jan 2014
In reply to blackreaver:

> It's now pretty much a competition of who can do winter with the cheapest clothing

I totally win that then as almost all of my kit in current rotation is stuff I'm reviewing, therefore it was all free.
 CharlieMack 10 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

Scarpa freneys 230
Bridgedales 20
Rab ps trouser 50
ME likasimm softshell 180
Rab latok event 180
Icebreaker 80
Tnf ps fleece 60
Arcteryx atom 160
ME kalanka 360
Rab ice gauntlet 80
ME beanie 20

So that's £1460. Though most of it was sales stuff, so probably paid about £800. All pretty top end stuff. But gradually collected over the years. Upgrading things like quecha fleeces.
But always had top end waterproof and boots. These do the most to keep you dry/ comfortable. Can skimp on other layers underneath.
 Choss 10 Jan 2014
In reply to blackreaver:

> It's now pretty much a competition of who can do winter with the cheapest clothing

Then Dan Arkle wins
Removed User 10 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

As litle as I can.
 awwritetroops 10 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

Celtic tap (away, long sleeved) £40
Fila trackies £19.99
Adidas Samba (suede, green) £44.99
Nike cap £5
Dolce & Gabbana One Sport £44

£153.98.
Nick Barnard 10 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

Listing winter only because summer clothing is usually random!
Boots - Scarpa Chamoz - £200
Baselayers - HH Lifa Set - £30
Beanie - Stripey TNF one - £20
Midlayer - Jumper (free) or Fleece - £8
Hardshell - Montane Superfly £35 from ebay
Trousers - Dare2B ski softshells £40
Insulated layer - Montane Prism £60
Socks - warm wool ones £8 pair?
Gloves - ME Randonee - £55
Windproof - Berghaus vapour £40

So £496

I got lucky with the hardshell though! Bargain (even if I don't like the colour and constantly think about replacing it). All the kit has worked pretty well so far.

Blue Straggler 10 Jan 2014
In reply to blackreaver:

Well it IS a UKC forum thread! Everything is a competition. Get with the programme!
Clauso 10 Jan 2014

I'm looking forward to the "Who lives in the biggest house?" and "Who earns the most money?" threads.
 Choss 10 Jan 2014
In reply to Clauso:

> I'm looking forward to the "Who lives in the biggest house?" and "Who earns the most money?" threads.

And whos got the best owls ;-D
 Phil79 10 Jan 2014
In reply to TobyA:

> I totally win that then as almost all of my kit in current rotation is stuff I'm reviewing, therefore it was all free.

Yes but you've sold your soul to the devil in doing so and will burn in hell for all eternity

The New NickB 10 Jan 2014

Yep, inevitably who spent the most, who can get away with spending the least, give it time we will have an oldest gear competition.

Thing I tend to take away from these threads are how do people know the names of all the products they buy, at least half the outdoor kit I have, despite being the usual brands, I didn't know the name of the product when I bought it never mind 2, 3 or 10 years later. Second is just how much insulation people seem to wear for winter, you would think it was -30 from October to March.
 Gaijin 10 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

Summer (as per last trip to Portland to climb the slabs at Blacknor South)
Flipflops 2.50
Shorts 10
Tee 10
Jumper 15

Winter (as per last trip to climb at the gorge)
Flipflops 2.50
Jeans 25
Tee 10
Hoodie 15
Fatface body warmer 45

David Barratt 10 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

From top to bottim on a worst case Alpine day;

TNF Beanie £20
Buff £12
IB Long sleeve zip top £60
Rab Power Stretch £55
Primaloft Layer £100
Rab Neoshell Jacket £250
IB Boxers £20
IB termals £50
Rab soft shells £85
Rab neoshells trousers £200
Thick socks £20
MH Guide Gloves £35
Rab Gaitors £30
Rucksack £90

Total £1377 excluding climbing gear.

Thankfully, I've also never paid full price and pretty much all of that was bought at trade price or below! Once you include climbing gear and maybe bivi kit and/or skis, Definetly worth more than the car!
 TobyA 10 Jan 2014
In reply to Phil79:

Sounds about right - or at least the equivalent to hell being a UKC forum discussion on how everything a review says is either wrong or corrupt.
In reply to TobyA:

> Sounds about right - or at least the equivalent to hell being a UKC forum discussion on how everything a review says is either wrong or corrupt.

Well at least you weren't directly involved in the trail shoe debacle!
 TobyA 10 Jan 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

Or indeed indirectly!

But I still think free sites like UKC simply can't afford to do the type of test that would be needed for the type of review you want. I've thought quite a lot about this, in regard to trying to start a company/website that does that - but I can't work out how to get it to work financially. :-/

Anyway, back to how much our gear costs!
In reply to TobyA:

It wasn't so much that I wanted a specific sort of review, it was that it was presented as something it wasn't. Anyway, back to the actual purpose of the thread.
 Blue Straggler 10 Jan 2014

> Thing I tend to take away from these threads are how do people know the names of all the products they buy, at least half the outdoor kit I have, despite being the usual brands, I didn't know the name of the product when I bought it never mind 2, 3 or 10 years later.

Agreed. My boots, helmet and hat are the only model names I specified as they are the only ones I know!
 sebbo 10 Jan 2014

'back to the actual purpose of the thread'... which is?

Sheesh!
 crayefish 10 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

I think I spent as much on my boots as the rest of my winter clothes! All my stuff was either presents, second hand or cheap from the MEC in Canada.

Phantom Ultras - £360
Base layers (silk and synthetic) - all presents
Ski trousers - present around 15 years ago
Waterproofs (MEC and Low Alpine) - £100 (second hand)
Mid layer fleece and synthetic pullover (MEC) - £100
Big Rab down belay jacket - £70 (second hand)
Socks & balaclava etc - £50
Two pairs of gloves (Rab and BD) - £60
In reply to sebbo:

> 'back to the actual purpose of the thread'... which is?

I'm not sure, but it certainly isn't a discussion on the merits of UKC gear reviews.

Sheesh
 forcan 10 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

Not a bad idea for a thread - not listing all my crap, cause it's a lot - but a good exercise, as I needed to update the list for my contents insurance. I've come out at just under £6000 (walking, camping, climbing and skiing gear)
 mrdigitaljedi 10 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

Summer:-

addias trackies £25
wild country t-shirt £20
campri walking boots £17.99
old berghaus windproof £34.99

total £97.98

Winter:-

Same again iam cheap
 The Lemming 10 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

Putting the willie waving to one side and showing how deep your pockets are, maybe we could come at this subject from another side?

Of those that have bought expensive kit, how how about deviding the cost by ow long that you've had it?
That way you can show how much your kit has cost you over x number of years?

For example, I have a pair of Nepal Extreme boots which I haggled for back in 1997 and got for £120. I've also had them resolled at £100. This works out at £12-94 per year.

The saying is buy cheap, pay twice but if we factor in longevity then we save a bundle.
 Clarence 10 Jan 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

I think there are some things that you can skimp on and some which demand quality. I wouldn't skimp on boots or socks, they have to be well fitting and good enough quality to last once broken in. I also wouldn't skimp on a hardshell jacket as getting soaked to the skin can be dangerous. Everything else I think of as expendable though. Fleeces can be cheap if they are warm and light enough, overtrousers get shredded quickly so cheap ones seem to last as long as expensive ones and baselayers only have to be functional, not fashionable.
 BnB 10 Jan 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

I spend more than I need to on outdoor gear but find it easy to justify expenditure on clothing by comparing everything to the cost of a tank of petrol at about £85. I only get three trips to Stanage or one and a half jaunts to Helvellyn for a tankful. Skye return is nearly 3 tanks!! Since I go into the hills almost constantly it's the petrol that's bleeding me dry.

(Although my wife did raise an eyebrow at the cost of the totem cam she bought me for xmas. "How much?!!")
 The Potato 10 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

Trousers - whatever, so long as they arent jeans
Socks - not bothered anymore so long as I have a liner sock on also
Top baselayer - anything thats clean
Midlayer - something fleece and compact usually bargains £20?
Boots - Meindl borneo (2nd hand) £75
Boots - Scarpa manta (about 5 years old) £155
Jacket - Mountain equipment ogre proshell £180 (best jacket Ive ever had)
Hat - whatever
Buff - trekmates merino £12
Gloves - Ninja ice work gloves £7
Gloves - liner merino/possum £7
 Andrew Wilson 10 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

Winter:
Scarpa freney boots 120
Bridgedale coolmax liners and 4 season socks 20
Paramo grundies 10
Ron hills 10
Patagonia backcountry guide trousers 150
R1 hoody 70
Nano puff 125
ME kalanka 190
Western mountaineering super lite down jacket 200
BD impulse gloves 55
OD beanie 20

Most stuff new, most bought in sales or 2nd hand but as new.
 The New NickB 11 Jan 2014
In reply to BnB:

> I spend more than I need to on outdoor gear but find it easy to justify expenditure on clothing by comparing everything to the cost of a tank of petrol at about £85. I only get three trips to Stanage or one and a half jaunts to Helvellyn for a tankful. Skye return is nearly 3 tanks!! Since I go into the hills almost constantly it's the petrol that's bleeding me dry.

What are you driving?
 The New NickB 11 Jan 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

I have two pairs of winter boots, a pair of Scarpa Mantas that I have had for 21 years, cost £120, full retail price = £5.71 a year, the second is a pair of Salomon Super Mountain Guide 9s that cost £100 in a sale in 2001, so £7.69 a year. I have no plans to replace either soon.
 BnB 11 Jan 2014

A car which only gets 30mpg!! Better than my wife's Subaru estate which only achieves 27mpg. Trouble is they would both be very expensive to replace, so we are stuck with high mileage costs as the lesser of two evils.
 TobyA 11 Jan 2014

> I have two pairs of winter boots, a pair of Scarpa Mantas that I have had for 21 years, cost £120, full retail price = £5.71 a year, the second is a pair of Salomon Super Mountain Guide 9s that cost £100 in a sale in 2001, so £7.69 a year. I have no plans to replace either soon.

I think it might be better to work it out on days per use than on years of ownership? My Trango ice boot thingies are about 8 seasons old now, but I wear them at least once a week normally from December through to end of March or April, so say 20 days of ice climbing a year (although in recent years with my flexible work/no work schedule I guess its more as I often go mid week soloing as well...). But then times that by 8 for seasons, 160-odd. So they're probably still at a bit above a quid as usage!
 Blue Straggler 13 Jan 2014
In reply to TobyA:

> I think it might be better to work it out on days per use than on years of ownership?

Yes, a good point which I think may have flown over The Lemming's head.

My Scarpa Grandes Jorasses were bought cut-price (£187) but have so far had ONE OUTING (a day on Blea Water Fall last year).

OTOH my £25 Aldi softshell has seen LOADS of use
 jkarran 13 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

I Don't go out in winter much but when I do it's: £50 mountain hardware waterproof, no-brand waterproof trousers ~£20, old Ronhills and inherited ski wear. Boot wise I have Scarpa Nepal something or others maybe £90 used and some crampons from a skip, £0. Various hats, scarves and gloves, £gifts mostly.

Summer: Old jeans or tracksuit bottoms, tee shirt £50 total, Decathlon trainers £20, padded insoles ~£5 for my delicate old feet. Old wooly jumpers if it's chilly.

Pretty much what I wear outdoors is what I wear everywhere.

jk
ye hallowed lands 13 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

you guys should spend less time talking kit and more time climbing its not what you wear, its how well you climb! but here is the kit list anyhow.

Tweed trouser £2.00 oxfam

Heavy wool underwear courtesy of the British army

Boots 2nd hand lowas and crampons £25 car boot sale.

Norwegian cotton wind proof/showerproof smock. 75 Krona?

wooly hat and gloves £9.99

Actually climbing all over. Priceless
 BnB 13 Jan 2014
In reply to ye hallowed lands:

Strange reply from someone with no public profile or visible climbing logbook. Too busy climbing I guess

But don't let that stop you telling us how to enjoy ourselves.
 Choss 13 Jan 2014
In reply to ye hallowed lands:

Woollen grots? Is that like a monkish hair Shirt self punishment thing?

ye hallowed lands 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Choss:

Yes sir, haha
 GarethSL 13 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

Just for fun, my winter clothing set up is as follows...

Merino base layer, Arc'teryx eon - £45
Merino bottoms, Aldi - £15
Atom LT - £80
Beta AR Trousers - £160
Venta MX - £190
Alpha SV Gloves - £85
Ortovox Wool Glove Liners - £70
Hat, TKMaxx - £4
Merino neck warmer - £15
Boots Asolo Lhotse GV - £120
ME Down Jacket - £80

So in total...

£864

But as a rule for buying clothing and equipment I try to never pay more than £200 for any single item and never pay RRP on anything. As the one time I have, I ended up pretty disappointed.
OP FreshSlate 13 Jan 2014

Wow! You spent more your gloves than your down jacket. Some achievement.
 walkingOn 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Oogachooga:

Nice Xmas presents
 veryhappybunny 15 Jan 2014
In reply to walkingOn:

I don't mind buying reasonable stuff but try and hang on to it forever:

powerstrech leggings - 2 times £50, about 15 years ago
paramo jacket - £190
Haglofs goretex £170 which the paramo was just bought to replace.
mountain equipment ultra fleece - can't remember
smart wool tops - £50 each
wonderful inov8s - £60 each in sales
Raichle leather boots - £100+
Big heavy winter boots - £140 ages ago
patagonia capilene tops - can't remember
lots of socks which seem to cost an unfeasiblu large amount of money
triple point overtrousers for "£50 I think ages ago
hat from asda for "£5
karrimor rucksack bought in 1993 - can't remember how much though
Grivel ice axe - I think only £60, but probably 20 years ago (gosh)

The main problem seems to be gloves - I can never find a pair I really like.
I'd love to hear if anyone has found the perfect glove for general drench scottish days.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...