UKC

Breaking in B3 boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kestrelspl 10 Jan 2014
Hi,

I've just bought my first pair of B3 boots and am finding that after wearing them around the house for more than about 20 minutes the top of my foot becomes quite sore. This is a problem that I often have with new shoes, and it normally sorts itself out after a while. My question is, given how much stiffer B3 boots are is it likely to remain a permanent problem, or do the uppers break in a similar amount to normal boots?
johnj 10 Jan 2014
In reply to kestrelspl:

I don't think you ever break a B3 boot in, more like you break your feet into the boot, Duct taping your feet up generally stops the blisters.
 nniff 10 Jan 2014
In reply to kestrelspl:

Wear them a little and often and they will get there eventually (assuming that they're leather boots). Dog walking is my preferred way of breaking boots in. If you're in a hurry, getting them soaking wet before going for a walk helps , but dry them very carefully afterwards.
OP kestrelspl 10 Jan 2014
In reply to nniff:

Thanks, that's reassuring to hear as they are indeed leather boots (Nepal extremes) and I have until the summer to get them sorted.
 DaveHall246 10 Jan 2014
In reply to kestrelspl:

Assuming you bought them from a shop and not online, I would recommend going back and talking to the person that fitted them before you use them outside. An experienced boot fitter should be able to help.
Clauso 10 Jan 2014
In reply to kestrelspl:

> Thanks, that's reassuring to hear as they are indeed leather boots (Nepal extremes) and I have until the summer to get them sorted.

Are you aware that you can adjust the inner tongue - or even remove it completely - with the Nepal Extremes? It's basically velcroed to the main tongue and can be adjusted to improve the fit as required.
ceri 10 Jan 2014
In reply to kestrelspl:

If the top of your foot is sore, could you lace the lower part of the boot less tightly?
In reply to Clauso:

Yes, that helped a lot to get the fit on the rest of the foot better, but I can't seem to find a position that mitigates this problem. I seem to have the same issue with most shoes I buy, and it improves and then goes away as the leather softens, so as long as that's also the case with much stiffer boots I think it should be alright.

I'll keep wearing them inside for a while to make sure it improves, and if it doesn't probably take them back to the shop. Out of interest does anyone else have similar problems?
 Carolyn 10 Jan 2014
In reply to kestrelspl:

Yes, I'd agree with many of these points! To some extent, it isn't about breaking the boot in - I used to think problems with winter boots were inevitable, but once I got used to walking in ski boots, B3 boots were never an issue again. I'd suggest it's about adapting how you walk - you stop trying to flex your foot/ankle within the boot, and that stops a lot of the problems.

But if it's pressing on the top of your foot, do try getting that bit of the lacing looser. Most stiff boots have some kind of locking islet at the ankle, so you can have different tensions over the foot to you have up round the ankle. And if they don't, there are ways you can change the lacing to introduce it. And yes, leather boot will probably soften up a bit here with use.
 nniff 10 Jan 2014
In reply to kestrelspl:

One of my Nepal Extremes gave me gip (bit into my ankle on the front). It doesn't any more. Just persevere, a little at a time and gradually the leather will mould to the shape of you foot and will 'hinge' where your ankle bends.

As long as the length is right, and they're essentially the right width, you should be fine in due course. If they're too short, too narrow, or way too long you'll have problems, but you should be fine.
 jshields 10 Jan 2014
In reply to kestrelspl:

Hi I had loads of problems getting my feet used to my old style Nepals when they were new, from heel stripping blisters to severe foot cramps, when I took the boot off. A lot of it was sorting the lacing to just the right level, I have a high instep, which doesn't seem to help.
All settled down now and I am happy with the boot, though heavy for long walk ins.
I have had them resoled with a new sole unit, don't think I could start again with a new pair!
Some good advice given already, give consideration to good quality socks, including a liner pair and and a good sole insert the standard one is pretty poor.
Good luck,
Jon
In reply to jshields:

The high arches point is reassuring, as I think that's what causes my problems (it's the area around that nub of bone just above the arch that I always seem to find hurting), and I'll definitely be playing around with the lacing when I get home later. Thanks
 jshields 10 Jan 2014
In reply to kestrelspl:

You are welcome, also try adjusting the tongue, it may help.
Jon
 crayefish 10 Jan 2014
In reply to johnj:

> I don't think you ever break a B3 boot in, more like you break your feet into the boot.

Yep!

And as Carolyn said, you can modify the tension along the length of the boot. Even though my boots have a special tensioner thing, I prefer to lock them part way with a reef knot. Holds the tension and very easy to undo.

Are you wearing double socks?

I found my boots were uncomfortable for an entire day, around the arches particularly, (wearing them to work etc) and suddenly the pain went away and hasn't come back.
OP kestrelspl 22 Jan 2014
In reply to crayefish:

Just an update, after much playing around and wearing them round the house I concluded they were just a bit too narrow, so took them back and swapped for the Evos which seem to be slightly wider and aren't causing nearly as many problems.
 crayefish 22 Jan 2014
In reply to kestrelspl:

Glad to hear!
 charliehl 25 Jan 2014
In reply to kestrelspl:

Hi,

I have the same boots. They hurt across the top of my feet when walking up steps.
It was the way I was walking, rather than try to bend my feet I now pick them up as if I was walking in old fashioned diving boots. Not sure if that makes sense? I put it down to the high ankle support and rigid soles. Also, for the walk in to a climb, I leave the top lacing really loose,that gets rid of any problems as well.

Cheers

Charlie

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...