UKC

Friday film club

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Choss 10 Jan 2014
So what cinema, DVD, VHS, whatever film treats have you got Lined up for Friday night or over this weekend then?

I wont Know mine Until i do a charity shop run this afternoon.
 d_b 10 Jan 2014
In reply to Choss:

The first rule of Friday Film Club is that you do not talk about Friday Film Club!
 Blue Straggler 10 Jan 2014
In reply to Choss:

Maybe Synechdoche, New York to see if it reveals any more of itself on a second viewing.
Maybe The Talented Mr Ripley as I've never seen it.
Maybe Rachel Getting Married (ditto)
Maybe London Belongs to Me (old b&w crime drama w/ Richard Attenborough)
OP Choss 10 Jan 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

The charity shop swag is in. My Friday film club this week will be:

Haunting in conneticut.
Halloween (original not Remake
The untouchables.
Bolt.
Some old school Doctor who VHSs.
In reply to Choss:

I have the choice of House At The End Of The Street, Olympus Has Fallen or Seven Psychopaths
 Skyfall 10 Jan 2014
In reply to Choss:

American Hustle at the flicks.

A variety of DVD's. Actually keen to see To Kill A Mockingbird (I'm sure I did many years ago but can't recall) in the light of modern/changing attitudes.
 Nick Harvey 10 Jan 2014
In reply to ivebittenoffmorethanicanstu: Seven Psychopaths! (Though OHF was entertaining in a Die Hard kinda way)

Jon Stewart 10 Jan 2014
In reply to Choss:

Hidden. I generally love Hanneke's films and haven't seen this. At the time someone told me that it was the most annoying film ever made, but others say they love it.
Jim C 10 Jan 2014
In reply to Skyfall:

> American Hustle at the flicks.

> I went to see it (with Mrs C over the hols,) it was ok, there was a few groups of people who were rolling in the isles laughing, Mrs C , however, never cracked even a smile, far less laugh, I found it mildly amusing , in places.

It will be interesting to hear what you think of it.
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I thought Code: Unknown was a lot better. Different kind of thing though. Hidden is still dead good, it was just a little bit overrated at the time (a common effect when something brushes up toward the mainstream, which Hidden did and which Code: Unknown did not).

Have fun with it! I certainly didn't find it in any way annoying. It's fairly straightforward storytelling.
In reply to Jim C:

> there was a few groups of people who were rolling in the isles laughing...

REALLY? One of my friends said she thought it was funny. It has a few little comedic lines / interludes but not really laugh-out-loud; I didn't treat it as a comedy on the whole. Nowhere near. Has it been MARKETED as a comedy (I never saw any trailers for it but I know the works of David O. Russell and I know that he injects some dark or black humour into his dramas)
 Tom Valentine 10 Jan 2014
In reply to Choss:

Bought Elysium for a Friday night treat but couldn't wait.

Very mixed feelings about it.

10/10 for the first half but much lower score thereafter.

Interesting product placement.
In reply to Tom Valentine:

The trailer made it look like an expensive rehash of District 9 though friends who saw (and liked) it defended it against such a charge. So, as someone who was a bit less enamoured of it, can you tell me if it is just an expensive rehash of District 9 please ? Thanks!
In reply to Choss:

May yet opt for "Another Earth". Still undecided!
 1poundSOCKS 10 Jan 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart: Hidden is brilliant, I love the ending. Although a guy leaving the cinema said to me "wasn't that the worst film you've ever seen?".

1poundSOCKS 10 Jan 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler: Another Earth is very poor.

1poundSOCKS 10 Jan 2014
In reply to ivebittenoffmorethanicanstu: Olympus Has Fallen is so wrong in so many ways, but I really enjoyed it. I feel slightly ashamed.

1poundSOCKS 10 Jan 2014
In reply to Choss: I just watched Dredd. Enjoyed it. If you're all wound up about the Duggan thread, watch Dredd and let off some steam.

In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

"Give them slo-mo. Skin them alive then throw them off from the top of Peach Trees" (or some such thing).

Great film.
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

> Another Earth is very poor.

Mmm, well I've bought it on DVD so I suppose I should watch it some time! thanks for the warning.
 1poundSOCKS 10 Jan 2014
I've made this mistake before, it's not Another Earth, which I haven't seen, sure it's better than what I was thinking of (sci-fi film with Will Smith and his son).

After Earth is what I was thinking of.
Post edited at 21:45
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Ahh!

<gets over the insult inherent in even an Internet randommer thinking I might want to watch an M. Night Shymalan film>

Yes I saw someone make that mistake on here a couple of weeks ago, maybe that was you too?
Another Earth is a low-budget indie thing. Still sci-fi though.
 1poundSOCKS 10 Jan 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler: Probably was me.

Maybe not so random, are you the Blue Straggler who owns the wired tri-cams, or a totally different Blue Straggler?

Tom Valentine 11 Jan 2014

SPOILER

AS I said, first half is as good as it gets in Sci fi with D9 transposed to LA.

Second half is a let down with Jason Bourne and PW Botha fighting it out with the aid of some lightweight body scaffolding.
 stewieatb 11 Jan 2014
In reply to Choss:

Just watched Pacific Rim, first time for family, second time for me. An unashamedly good sci-fi action film.
 stewieatb 11 Jan 2014

> The trailer made it look like an expensive rehash of District 9 though friends who saw (and liked) it defended it against such a charge. So, as someone who was a bit less enamoured of it, can you tell me if it is just an expensive rehash of District 9 please ? Thanks!

It's the same director, a South African, whose films tend to be allegories for Apartheid. Unfortunately I haven't seen Elysium so I can't compare the two completely, but I agree that the trailer made it look like the same plot in a different sci-fi setting.
 Blue Straggler 11 Jan 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

I am that one.
In reply to stewieatb:

> It's the same director, a South African, whose films tend to be allegories for Apartheid.

Yes, I knew it was Blomkamp (I don't know his other films aside from the somewhat overegged D9), but that's no excuse for just rehashing his breakthrough film with a bigger budget (IF that's what Elysium is, which Tom V says it's not...quite... )
Rodriguez got away with it with Desperado mainly because not that many people actually SAW El Mariachi.
In reply to Choss:

I went for "London Belongs to Me" in the end, and it was ace
 Jon Stewart 12 Jan 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

> Hidden is brilliant, I love the ending. Although a guy leaving the cinema said to me "wasn't that the worst film you've ever seen?".

My verdict: corker.

He just makes such good quality films, totally compelling from start to finish. I liked the ending too.
 David Alcock 12 Jan 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

We had a Haneke evening over xmas, Hidden and Funny Games (the original version). Happy days.
 Tom Valentine 12 Jan 2014
In reply to David Alcock:

Ha ha ha . Haneke = happy days. Ha ha ha.
 1poundSOCKS 12 Jan 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart: Glad you enjoyed it, if I hadn't given away all my DVDs, I'd bang it on again. Might have to get a month of Netflix and have a hardcore film month.

OP Choss 12 Jan 2014
In reply to Choss:

Just watched Bolt.

Loved that Little doggie. Hes my new Hero
:-D
OP Choss 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Choss:

Watched the untouchables last night. Sean Connery should have won an award for best Scottish Accent by a Supposedly Irish character.

Then watched some old school Doctor who, Until i could Stand the Terrible acting, story, plot, and sets, no Longer. It was bad.
In reply to Choss:

The House At The End Of The Street was excellent. Also ended up watching Walking The Line which was pretty good too.
 Tom Valentine 13 Jan 2014
In reply to ivebittenoffmorethanicanstu:

Sorry for hi-jacking Friday film club but it's Monday and I've just noticed there's The Invasion on TV at 9 o'clock.

I'm keen to see it to put it in its place;

so far my preferred order is
Kaufman(n)
Ferrara
Siegel

Jim C 13 Jan 2014

> REALLY? One of my friends said she thought it was funny. It has a few little comedic lines / interludes but not really laugh-out-loud; I didn't treat it as a comedy on the whole. Nowhere near. Has it been MARKETED as a comedy (I never saw any trailers for it but I know the works of David O. Russell and I know that he injects some dark or black humour into his dramas)

It WAS the GFT after all, there are always people who go there and practice their exaggerated laugh. but I guess there is also some humour in the Film
(comb- overs are always good for a laugh , for example)
however, Stylish scarves, and over the shoulder pastel jumpers ( in June ) are hilarious.
And that is just the audience not even in the film

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/fashion-and-beauty/fashion/draping-a-sw...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=comb+over+wigs&tag=hydr...
Jim C 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Choss:

> So what cinema, DVD, VHS, whatever film treats have you got Lined up for Friday night or over this weekend then?

Took Mrs C to the IMAX to see Gravity Sunday night, , I was a bit doubtful she would like it,( she is not a science/space/Sci-fy fan )
so I just said we were was to see a George Clooney film and never mentioned the subject matter.

She watched it said nothing until the car park on the way home, where she announced that she 'Quite liked it ' ! Praise indeed., for her.

I knew I would like it, (and the bonus was Sandra Bullock in shorts and vest,even if it was fleeting) The special effects were of course fantastic, I was moving my head dodging space debris.
OP Choss 17 Jan 2014
In reply to Choss:

What you watching this weekend?

Tonight ive got Martha Marcy May Marlene.

And some old Doctor who Series on VHS. Although i watched brain of morbius already and it was shitter than shit.

pick up new Flicks tomorrow for rest of weekend.
 Tom Valentine 17 Jan 2014
In reply to Choss:

Just noticed that Let Me In is on bbc player so will give it a whirl. I liked the original (except the clockwork cat)
 Mark Collins 17 Jan 2014
In reply to Tom Valentine:
Oh yes, watched that last night. Its Ace, would quite like to see the original now.
Post edited at 12:17
OP Choss 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Choss:

This weekends fare anyone?

Ive got:

the exorcism of Emily Rose.
Super 8.
The worlds end.
Children of the corn.
 Blue Straggler 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Choss:

The 1984 Children of the Corn? (I'm unaware of any remake so I will assume that this is the case.

When they used to show it on telly the announcer's warning specifically warned about the first 15 minutes
OP Choss 24 Jan 2014
Yeah the 1984 one.
Post edited at 09:20
 1poundSOCKS 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Choss: Lone Ranger tonight. I reckon it'll be good, despite some bad reviews. Interested to experience it anyway.

OP Choss 24 Jan 2014

When i found it in charity shop, i was almost tempted by the fog Remake, but i couldnt do it. it was just wrong
OP Choss 24 Jan 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

> Lone Ranger tonight. I reckon it'll be good, despite some bad reviews. Interested to experience it anyway.

ooh thats been quite universally panned. enjoy
 1poundSOCKS 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Choss: Hopefully. I'm sure the reviewers just didn't 'get it'.

In reply to Choss:

> ooh thats been quite universally panned. enjoy

It got more Oscar nominations than Oz The Great and Powerful, which I liked :-/
In reply to Choss:

"Question me not, Malachai! I act according to His will."
In reply to Choss:

Potentially watching Riddick if I have time
 ripper 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Choss:

Don't know yet but I watched 'Planet Terror' last Friday and loved it, an absolute hoot (although the flickery film stock effect was maybe a bit overdone). I'd gladly watch that again - or maybe 'Deathproof' if I get the chance, to complete the set...
OP Choss 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Choss:

watched the worlds end last night. Thought it was good, but Largely just more of the same From pegg/wright.

thoughts anyone?

tonight, the exorcism of Emily rose and Revisit children of the corn
 Duncan Bourne 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Choss:

This is quite simply the best film I have seen in a looooong time.
The Act of Killing
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2375605/

horrific and disturbing without being gratuitous, revealing and questioning and just so much more than it appears on the surface. A must see and I don't give them very often
 Blue Straggler 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

I saw that at the cinema. It is a brilliant piece of work and indeed essential viewing.

I want to see the finished film that the guys made too though :-/
 Blue Straggler 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Choss:

I watched "The War of the Arrows" last night, Korean 17th-century battle epic thing, these things seem to be ten-a-penny now since Hero and House of Flying Daggers.
It passed the time, but was pretty uninvolving. Its USP is that it is maybe one of the best "bow and arrow" films!

Washed it down with half of Anvil: The Story of Anvil with the DVD commentary from Lips and Robb (with the director helping them along as they didn't really seem to have much to say that wasn't already in the film!)
Will finish that off and then maybe have The Talented Mr Ripley or The Charge of the Light Brigade.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...