Culture Bunker forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Gravity- most overrated film of the year?

Trevers - on 10 Jan 2014
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/jan/08/baftas-2014-gravity-12-years-slave-american-hustle

I've seen Gravity and American Hustle. I've yet to see All Is Lost which I desperately want to see, and 12 Years a Slave which I'm seeing on Sunday and really looking forward to.

I'm just wondering if anyone feel the same way I do about Gravity, which is that is was good, but...
- Plot was weak. The whole basis for the film is very contrived (Russians blowing up their satellite) and it then the rest is fairly uninspired.
- Characters were weak. Clooney is basically Buzz Lightyear. Bullock's character went very quickly from being overwhelmed and useless so being indestructable. It's fairly unbelievable.
- It's not as realistic as everyone says. Clooney's death is the dumbest thing I've seen in a film. The convenient fact that all these spacecraft are orbiting in synchronisation is also cringily unrealistic. It's the fact that the film tricks you into thinking you don't need to suspend your disbelief, then gets stuff horribly wrong, which ruins the effect for me.

It did enjoy watching it but it was good, not great. Possibly it was too hyped up before I saw it, and possibly having studied physics didn't help, but I just want to know what everyone thought was so fantastic. Is everyone just dazzled by the amazing visuals?
... not showing 65 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums