Gear forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - How much do you rely on shop assistants?

PPP - on 10 Jan 2014
I know I am a gear junkie and I know more than climber or hill-walker (myself) would need to know. If I buy something, I need to know about technologies used. Sometimes I just spend some time wandering around outdoor shops and looking at some stuff. Sometimes I need some help from assistants as my memory is not as good as my curiosity.

So here I am, at one shop. At that time I was interested in Suunto watches, I wanted to look at them and decide whether I really need one (have a Casio G-shock at the moment which hasn't any of ABC functions). I could not remember how waterproof this watch is and asked the assistant. So we figured out it's "30M". He claimed that this is diving depth, so I could basically dive up to 30 meters with this watch. I know it's not true and the water resistance claimed on watch is not directly related to diving depth. I tried to explain that to him, he said that watches aren't his speciality, but never agreed that he was wrong. I didn't care about it too much.

Now I am looking for B1 rated shoes as my boots are worn out and I definitely need new ones. Months passed, I forgot what happened and went to the same store again. A girl approached and asked if I need any help. Indeed, I did - from 50 or more boots I can't tell boot ratings just by looking at them. She didn't seem to be sure about these ratings, admitted that and said she will ask for another assistant to help me. Okay. The same "not watches guy" came. So I said I need B1 boots for all-year round use. He pointed out that crampon compatible boots will be tiring in the summer just to hill walk. He insisted me on trying Scarpa Manta boots, which are B2 boots. I said these aren't B1 boots, but it seemed he didn't want to hear that. I assumed he thought that as long as boots are crampon compatible, they are all the same. Then he gave me Salomon Quest 4D boots to feel the difference. Of course, it might be a little bit weird to tackle Scottish munros in summer wearing B2 boots, but I know that some people use B1 boots in summer for scrambling and hill walking without many troubles (my previous boots weren't supportive enough, that's why I need B1's).

So I will never go to that store again, that is for sure. What about others? What if someone was told that they can dive with watch which has "Water Resistant 30M" label? What if person wants B1 boots and buys B2 instead (nothing bad will happen, though)?

So, how much do you rely on shop assistants? Do you find them helpful?
... not showing 26 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums