UKC

Pete Riley Inquest

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
http://tinyurl.com/qa7v2pf

Pete Riley was a popular and active climber in The Wye Valley. Very sad.
 Puppythedog 10 Jan 2014
In reply to WyeValleyClimber:

Indeed, very sad. I remember hearing that somebody had died. Thoughts to family and friends.
 FreshSlate 10 Jan 2014
Rest in Peace Peter Riley. I thought this was a different but similar accident due to the details but I was wrong. Horrible it is. My thoughts are with his son and family at this very difficult time. My Dad died a year ago yesterday, not too many years between him and my father and possibly myself and his son. It's made all the worse by having a good relationship with your Dad. My total and complete commiserations for this unfathomable loss.
 Greenbanks 10 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

x2

RIP
 Yanis Nayu 11 Jan 2014

Incredibly sad story - poor lad. I hope those final memories pass and leave him with the good ones.
 MischaHY 11 Jan 2014

My thoughts to his family, the son especially.

I am confused about one thing though - what are they referring too when they say 'The gap between the climber and belay point was greater than it might have been'? Do they mean he was run out on the gear, or the actual belayer was standing too far away?
 groovy chick 13 Jan 2014
In reply to MischaHY:

They refer to the run out between gear, which was not 'greater than it might have been' as stated; this was one opinion. The gear was out to the left slightly so as the block came away the rope came up behind Peter's feet spinning him backwards. Joe did all he could for Peter but the injury was un-survivable, from time to time in climbing there are examples of unbelievable accidents and Peter was the victim of one of these. Anything involving Peter was an adventure including climbing, a massive loss!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...