UKC

Van Der Graaf Generator

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Any fans here?

I have been re-listening to "Still Life" of late, and am still in awe of it's musical and lyrical heaviness. Not "heavy metal" heaviness, but real philosophical depth heaviness.

Any other Hammill / VDGG fans?

youtube.com/watch?v=x16-qZJmpKA&
Post edited at 23:49
 Clarence 11 Jan 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

I got thrown out of organ lessons at church for trying to play Theme One when I was a kid. Still love a bit of VdGG.
In reply to Clarence:

Theme one, great tune, but a bit of an oddity for VDGG.

youtube.com/watch?v=WWcJ7WeAK78&
 Duncan Bourne 11 Jan 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

Big fan of VDGG and Peter Hammill. Pawn Hearts and the Silent Corner and the Empty Stage were two of my favourite albums growing up. I have to say though that I felt he had gone down hill after "the Noise" . Still he did some seminal stuff, Over, As close as this, In Camera.
Of the VDGG stuff I would say that after Pawn Hearts Still Life and World Record are prob my favourites. Been alone so long is also a classic
In reply to stroppygob:

I'm a massive fan. Pawn Hearts in particular although there are other really great records - H to He, Least We Can Do, Godbluff and Still Life. I like everything they've done. My favourite Peter Hammill solo albums are Chameleon In The Shadow of the Night, Silent Corner, In Camera and Nadir's Big Chance.
Great to see other VDG fans on here.
In reply to I like climbing:
> Great to see other VDG fans on here.

Very true!

Has anyone else seen this newish version of Still Life? Mr Hammill still has it!!

youtube.com/watch?v=OiAawxPGvcs&
Post edited at 20:24
In reply to stroppygob:

Wonderful ! Thanks for posting
 andrew ogilvie 12 Jan 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

I think that La Rossa is magnificent, an opinion which has survived the 35 years or so since I first heard it on my brother's C90 of their session on the Friday Rock Show (TV on the radio).
Wonderful , ambitious, coherent lyrics and atmospheric music.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...