UKC

Climbing rope screenwash spill

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Em66 11 Jan 2014
On cleaning out my boot today I have found my 5l bottle of diluted screenwash to have spread itself across the contents of my car boot, including my single 50m rope. I believe it could have been like this for up to a few weeks ( I don't often use my boot ), but the rope was definitely fairly damp and along the full length. (The rope is not dry treated)

The screenwash doesn't have any ingredients on the side so not sure exactly what has gone over my rope and google doesn't bring anything up.

Has anyone else had such an accident? Or know how much this is likely to have damaged my rope?
 Mountain Llama 11 Jan 2014
In reply to Em66:
Not sure but best to wash asap. Put Rope In pillow case and put in washer with pure soap or nikwax wash only. Then spend sum time researching us others will post

Google screen wash msds
Post edited at 21:38
 DaveHall246 11 Jan 2014
In reply to Em66:

Screen wash will have some sort of detergent in it, and also an antifreeze of some sort - could be a type of alcohol (ethanol or iso-propanol) and/or ethylene glycol.

I'm not sure of the specifics, but in general ropes and chemicals don't mix and it sounds like yours could have been soaked for a long time.

Probably not what you want to hear, but if it was mine i'd be looking for a new one.
 crayefish 11 Jan 2014
In reply to Em66:

As far as I know detergents shouldn't affect the rope strength. But antifreeze (a major component of screen wash) could do. It's a solvent so likely to affect plastic. This is something you are best asking the rope manufacturer about.
needvert 11 Jan 2014
In reply to Em66:

A fluid of unknown composition mixes with rope used for preservation of life for a prolonged period of time. What could happen?!

I think the only way to be confident is to soak a bit of rope for a few weeks and do some drop tests.

Excuse for a new rope?
 JoshOvki 11 Jan 2014
In reply to Em66:

I would go for a new rope and I have been told I am cheap! No point risking it in my opinion.
 climber david 12 Jan 2014
In reply to Em66:

A general rule if thumb is if you wouldnt be too worried if you drank some then your. Ope would be be fine. Other wise, could cause issues. obvioUsly not very scientific but if your stupid enough to drink screenwash then you should probably be removed from the gene pool

David
 FreshSlate 12 Jan 2014
In reply to climber david:
Most of these threads are usually a bit of nothing and I'm generally like "it's fine, if you don't want it send it me".

I don't want you to send me this rope.

You can look deeper into it but a 50m non dry treated rope you can have for under £80. How long have you had the rope?
Post edited at 01:23
 Panick 12 Jan 2014
In reply to Em66:

Would ethanol have such a detrimental effect? and its diluted? I would have thought it would be fine.

BUT lives will be hanging from it...and new ropes are cheaper than new people, so don't risk it?
 deepsoup 12 Jan 2014
In reply to climber david:
> A general rule if thumb is if you wouldnt be too worried if you drank some then your.

That's a silly rule. Engine oil, diesel, petrol or weedkiller won't damage your rope, given time vinegar will kill it. Your insides are not made of nylon.
 deepsoup 12 Jan 2014
In reply to Panick:
If you look up nylon here:
http://www.coleparmer.co.uk/Chemical-Resistance

Ethanol, ethylene glycol, propylene glycol - all fine. But anti-freeze gets a definite no, not sure why. I'm with r0x0r.wolfo - usually I think people in these "help I spilled <whatever> on my rope!" threads are being ridiculously risk averse, but in this case if it was my rope I'd probably bin it.
 Choss 12 Jan 2014
In reply to Em66:

I would Retire it personally.

Many Uses around house, or offer it to local scout or guide group for Knot Tying Practice?
 Otis 12 Jan 2014
In reply to Em66:

Just looked at my bottle of screen wash and it says 'if spilled on paintwork wash off immediately', so it's clearly not good for your cars paintwork.

If it were my rope and it had been soaking in screen wash for several weeks I'm afraid there's no way I'd use it for climbing again. I very much doubt any manufacturer would give you a different answer if you asked them for advice.

One to put down to experience, but on the bright side at least you get to go gear shopping

Mike
 crayefish 12 Jan 2014
In reply to deepsoup:

Petrol or engine oil wouldn't damage a rope? Ummm actually they are both solvents... petrol is particularly good at eating plastic! I'd never let it near a rope.
 jimtitt 12 Jan 2014
In reply to crayefish:

Air and water are also common solvents, and? They use nylon in the fuel systems of cars for good reason.
 deepsoup 12 Jan 2014
In reply to crayefish:

> petrol is particularly good at eating plastic!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0040GSL1K
 crayefish 12 Jan 2014
In reply to jimtitt:
Lol blond moment... forgot nylon is alright with petrol. Shows me for posting when half asleep. Had sleepy visions of all the rubber gloves it eats when cleaning stuff with it.

I do wonder about myself sometimes!

Though I'd still be warey about petrol and climbing rope... not worth risking these things I think (unless manufacturer states otherwise).
Post edited at 12:27
 Larey 12 Jan 2014
In reply to Em66:

Ok so its a harness not a rope but its got some similarity's.

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/qc-lab-acid-harness.html?utm_medium=ema...

I wouldn't risk it.
 Timmd 12 Jan 2014
In reply to Em66:

Peace of mind is worth a lot when climbing, I'd not risk it.
OP Em66 18 Jan 2014
In reply to Em66:

Thanks for the responses everyone! I have decided to retire my rope, not worth risking it. Have spent today making myself a doormat like this one - http://miniatures.about.com/od/miniatureprojects/ss/oceanplaitrug_11.htm
 Otis 19 Jan 2014
In reply to Em66:

Sounds like a good decision! Hope you enjoy wiping your feet on your new doormat!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...