UKC

Adventure peaks any feedback?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
nickhelm2013 12 Jan 2014
Is this guiding company any good? Any feedback?
 aricooperdavis 12 Jan 2014
In reply to nickhelm2013:

I have been on the Corsican GR20 week that adventure peaks set up, and I have to say, it was utterly fantastic. Rather than provide their own guide, they leased with a local company.

Although this made them, perhaps, a slightly unnecessary middle man, it meant that the guide had good local experience, and that we were contributing to the local economy.

One thing that I would be wary of is the kit lists. They give a kit list, but this isn't exhaustive by any means, and in our case was for the wrong season entirely, so was nigh on useless, but with some common sense this shouldn't be a problem.

I hope that's of some help?
 AdCo82 12 Jan 2014

I've heard some bad things about them / the owner. I'd never book with them.

and the shop staff are tools!
 Milesy 12 Jan 2014
In reply to An Triubhas:

The staff were very helpful in getting me stuff directly from millet in chamonix for stuff that wasn't sold in the uk.
 Ander 12 Jan 2014
In reply to An Triubhas:

> and the shop staff are tools!

I didn't have the best experience with them either- Go Outdoors staff are more competent
 Doghouse 12 Jan 2014

Went to tien shian with them and found them excellent.
 geordiepie 12 Jan 2014

I went on a trip with them last year and to be honest I don't think I'd book with them again. Communication from the office/admin staff was a bit poor. There we're a few niggling complaints out on the trip like out of date hill food, bits of kit not working etc. None of these we're that bad really but it all adds up.

I'd also be asking questions about who else is going on the trip and what their experience is, I did feel some on my trip had bitten off more than they could chew. Luckily this didn't affect our trip too much but I could see it being an issue on longer trips.

Having said all that our group leader was excellent and I still had a really great trip.....perhaps is just that the fully guided thing isn't for me.
 Mountain Llama 12 Jan 2014

Are u looking at an expedition or a coarse, ie Scots winter climbing?
rackandruin 12 Jan 2014
In reply to geordiepie: Sorry to hijack the thread but did you ever get those emails I sent you re flysheet? I seem to have problems emailing people direct thru ukcf
Apologies for hijack
 bluebealach 12 Jan 2014

I found the shop staff in Ambleside quite good but the gears a bit pricey.

Sorry I cant help with the guiding side.
nickhelm2013 12 Jan 2014
In reply to Mountain Llama:

Expedition to Peru for 3weeks. Them or jagged globe.
 Mountain Llama 12 Jan 2014
In reply to nickhelm2013: been on climbing expedition with jagged globe in Nepal for 4 weeks back in 2006. Everything went well.

Was originally going with Adventure peaks to try for an unclimbed peak but they cancelled so had to find alternative.

There are many factors to take into account on an expedition, some of them are out of your control, ie what the expedition leader will be like and what you fellow team mates will be like.

Definitely worth doing.

Hope things go well, Davey
 Street 16 Jan 2014

I'm booked up to go to the Alps with them in the summer. Reading around I heard generally good things about them and they've always been helpful when I've gone in the shop!
 Kimberley 16 Jan 2014

Jagged Globe everytime !

Which Peru trip?

Have you considered Andes? John Biggar wrote the guidebook!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...