UKC

The joy of being lost

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 12 Jan 2014

Have we lost the ability to be lost?

That time when you are in a white out, or fog, or coming off the hill in the dark, or just when you don't know exactly where you are and you have to check out the map and compass and figure it all out.

And the satisfaction of self reliance, of knowing that you weren't really lost but just needed to re-establish your bearings. Or where you do come out of a white out exactly where you expected to.

Has technology removed that experience?
 csw 12 Jan 2014
In reply to Removed User:

Not for those of us too tight-fisted to invest in it...
 aln 12 Jan 2014

> Have we lost the ability to be lost?
> Has technology removed that experience?

No.
 Sharp 12 Jan 2014

Are you talking about being lost or are you talking about being able to navigate in bad conditions? Being lost is no fun and has got plenty people killed.

Lost - a failure, in bad conditions life threatening.

Navigation in bad conditions - Knowing enough to safely get to your destination but perhaps not knowing exactly where you are all the time and periodically having to correct minor errors.
 batterj2 12 Jan 2014

Nope. Found two couples yesterday on Kinder Scout hopelessly lost both with smartphones and only one map between them (no compass).

Still very easy for people to get lost.
 veteye 12 Jan 2014

No.
I was out on the Friday before Christmas on my own on the featureless hills just south of carn Bhac in cloud,heavy wind coming from the north-west,the direction in which I was heading,with hail and snow and up to the thigh at times.Just had map and compass.Had left mobile phones in the van.
I suddenly realised that I was glad that I had been in such conditions before and therefore knew that if I kept to the logical methods that had worked before that I would be fine.
Sometimes in those situations it is better to be on your own as there is no chance of getting into a distracting conversation.
Rob
 Bruce Hooker 12 Jan 2014

I can't recall enjoying being lost, especially at nightfall, I've always found it quite anguishing, especially when I'm with others who relied on me to know the way.
Removed User 12 Jan 2014

Ok. So being lost is a life threatening situation and I agree, it is extremely stressful. But then I have been in the middle of a climb where I am stressed, and in a life threatening situation and yet that is a part of the experience I am perhaps seeking?

Sometimes part of being in the hills and mountains, for me, is the need for an uncertain outcome.

So when I say "joy" I'm sure I'm talking about a retrospective emotion.
Jim C 12 Jan 2014
In reply to batterj2:

> Nope. Found two couples yesterday on Kinder Scout hopelessly lost both with smartphones and only one map between them (no compass).

> Still very easy for people to get lost.

smartphones have a Compass, sounds like the owners that were not smart enough to download the compass App. ( there is also a Bubble Level) iApp if they need to know what way up they are

The answer to the question is, yes you can be ' lost' if you want to be, even with the new Tech, just don't switch it on
( unless in a life threatening situation, it's what a lot of folks do)
Removed User 12 Jan 2014
In reply to Jim C:

> The answer to the question is, yes you can be ' lost' if you want to be, even with the new Tech, just don't switch it on

Not quite the same though, is it? And is deliberately not taking it then stupidity? If going into the wilderness without a map and compass is stupidity, why isn't it stupid to go in without a gps, or a cell phone (even if you might not have coverage)?
Jim C 12 Jan 2014
> Not quite the same though, is it? And is deliberately not taking it then stupidity? If going into the wilderness without a map and compass is stupidity, why isn't it stupid to go in without a gps, or a cell phone (even if you might not have coverage)?

You are preaching to the converted, I carry all of the above , and I know how to use them all.
( but my texting is shocking according to my kids

I was not casting judgement on those that don't , nor was I calling them stupid. I go to Skye I carry a compass, but I have to be aware that it is not always going to be accurate, similarly, my phone/GPS , may not get a signal, but I carry them all
( and a spare compass, since I stood on one and broke it)

( I also Photograph my map of the area on my phone, and camera , and if my map blows away ( and it has) I can view it on my /phone camera, and zoom in to get the detail. As a backup)
Post edited at 19:09
 Wainers44 12 Jan 2014
> (In reply to Removed User)
>
>
> So when I say "joy" I'm sure I'm talking about a retrospective emotion.

Does it have to be though? Isnt part of the joy of being out there for the chance to not know where you are or for that matter where you are going?

If you want total certainty, maybe stay at home or walk in a nice big group, surrounded by lots of sweaty others, and perhaps "lead" by an all knowing "leader"?

On the other hand, if you want to, set out with no route or objective in mind, wander accordingly and then maybe go home later, maybe much later.

Phones and GPS are fantastic, I have them both and rarely take them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...