UKC

Altimeter/ GPS watches

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mrbird 12 Jan 2014
Hello folks,

Any of you lot use altimeter/ gps watches in the Alps? Are they worth the money? Is an E trex or forerunner just as good?
 PPP 12 Jan 2014
In reply to mrbird:

I liked the idea of Casio Pro Trek PRW3000, but never tried it, though. And it's not as expensive as other ABC watches with better protection, IMHO.
 Mountain Llama 12 Jan 2014
In reply to mrbird:
I have a Casio pro trek prg 50, barometer, altimeter and compass plus solar powered.

Had it a fair while now and use it for hill walking, scots winter and alps. It's handy to have an idea of altitude, especially if your looking for a direction change or a feature in poor viz. plus it's good to know what ascent you have done / completed.

I find it can get in the way while rock climbing, so attach it to rucksack strap.

Not sure I'd buy one just to use in the alps but good to have.

Altitude via gps can be a bit dodgy so make sure who have a barometer.

HTH Davey
Post edited at 16:13
OP mrbird 12 Jan 2014
In reply to PPP:

Just wondering if theyre really worth it? Whats the oldschoolers advice?
OP mrbird 12 Jan 2014
In reply to Mountain Llama:

Cheers Mr Llama
 the abmmc 12 Jan 2014
In reply to mrbird:

Hey bird,I'm not an oldtimer yet but really enjoyed having an altimeter in the Alps, you can be on a long steep ridge and still have a good idea where you are. Also good in bad weather with low visibility for knowing where you should be looking for changing direction. With a barometer one you do need to regularly calibrate for your height at a known height though. Never seen a barometric watch that automatically does this though some claim to.

As many people before me have said, it's another aid to navigation.

Tom
OP mrbird 12 Jan 2014
In reply to the abmmc:

Cheers Tom. I was expecting some old crusty hill dog to tell me to man up and use the stars.

Do you have any recomendations or advice on altimeters?
 PPP 12 Jan 2014
In reply to mrbird:
As I am looking for an altimeter for more than half a year, I suppose it is not worth it (if I don't buy something in a month or two, it means that I am interested in idea, not in using it). Unless you are planning to do some stuff in really bad conditions, it might be helpful to have one, but I suppose you can buy a dedicated GPS for such activity. Take a look at this: youtube.com/watch?v=t1_k_JxB5tQ&

If you ever felt that you need an altimeter for survivability, then go for it. I see an ABC (Altimeter, Barometer & Compass) watch as a gadget rather than a navigational aid. However, I don't do as much mountaineering as I would like to.
Post edited at 19:01

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...