UKC

Creag an Dubh Loch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Looks like the Dubh Loch is getting a bit of attention - http://nickbullock-climber.co.uk/

Not sure whereabouts on the crag these routes are though the shot looking right at Iain Small has similarities to the lower section of King Rat.

ALC
 TobyA 12 Jan 2014
In reply to a lakeland climber:

Yep, I was surprised there is nothing about it on Scottish Winter yet. Looks super impressive and scary though all the route.
 gforce 12 Jan 2014

They're all on Broad Terrace Wall in the vicinity of Culloden.
 Robert Durran 12 Jan 2014

All these new routes are on the right side of Broad Terrace wall. Having a nice view of teams Small and Hawthorn cruising quick second and third ascents of one of them today went a little way to make up for my own pathetic flounderings on a cruddy Grade II (conditions very variable!). The amount of ice on BTw is amazing - the area left of Sword of Damocles looks climbable by the brave almost anywhere.
 jon 12 Jan 2014
In reply to Robert Durran:

Looked quite wet, water running under the ice? Or was that a trick of the camera?
 henwardian 12 Jan 2014
In reply to jon:

> Looked quite wet, water running under the ice? Or was that a trick of the camera?

I'm speaking from a point of relative ignorance but surely that stuff is not melting, I can't imagine a thin layer of ice like that would ever stay attached enough to climb with water running under it.
 JCurrie 12 Jan 2014

New routes were also climbed on the area left of Sword of Damocles on saturday.

J
In reply to TobyA:

> Yep, I was surprised there is nothing about it on Scottish Winter yet.

There is now!

TobyA 12 Jan 2014

I expect you to be up there mixing it with young guns (and old masters actually looking at the names), Robert! Not floundering in cruddy gullies - leave that to the punters such as myself.
 Neil Adams 13 Jan 2014

Looks like it was the place to be this weekend:

http://www.scottishwinter.com/?p=4215
 BnB 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Neil Adams:

Climbers are looking more and more like skiers, who are copying snowboarders (in a size or two smaller) of course!!
 JCurrie 13 Jan 2014
 TobyA 13 Jan 2014
In reply to JCurrie:

Wow! That looks pretty nuts. From the looking up pics on Nick's blog it's hard to see the steepness - but you can see it there! Great picture.
 Michael Gordon 14 Jan 2014

> flounderings on a cruddy Grade II (conditions very variable!)

South-East Buttress? I've done this under powder with the first pitch feeling more like IV,4!
 Robert Durran 14 Jan 2014
In reply to Michael Gordon:

> South-East Buttress? I've done this under powder with the first pitch feeling more like IV,4!

Started up a grade IV, but conditions on the steep bit were horrible crud, so I climbed a little mixed step to gain a steep snow slope leading onto S.E Buttress. This turned out to be an "unjustifiable" steep slope of foot deep sugary snow overlying spongy heather. I reversed to the belay and we abbed off. Total humiliation.
In reply to JCurrie:

Another amazing shot on Scottish Winter - http://www.scottishwinter.com/?p=4284

ALC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...