UKC

Skye... when's best?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Logibear 13 Jan 2014
I've been asked by some friends to take them up to Skye this spring or summer in order to satisfy one of the many activities on their bucket list. Although they are fit, they are not do not want to be doing anything too arduous; they're happy on 4-6hr walks.

Please could I ask for your opinions on when and where to go? We're keen to avoid winter conditions, likewise we're also keen not to be eaten by the legendary midges!

Many thanks,
Logoir
 ianlaw 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Logoir:

I've been end of May, beginning of June... it was lovely! May is a good time in Scotland in general for low midges and not much winter snow hanging around.

Trotternish Area and some of the more user friendly Cullin walks can be done in 6 hours, although the shorter walks aren't as rewarding. Blaven is good walk too.

I bought the Cicerone guide, good range of short walks.
 joan cooper 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Logoir: MacLeods Tables, or Trottenish Ridge Before end of May to avoid midges.

patrick_b 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Logoir:

End of May is usually the best time for good weather and lack of midges.
musashi 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Logoir:
Hi,

I have been to Skye a couple of years ago in June, the weather was good, but obviously this can change every year. Not too many midges (but still a constant pain in windless days).

When : IMO may/june as you get very long days, not too many midges.

Where: the Trotternish traverse is a 2 days walk, hard, but not too hard.

From Sligachan and Glen Brittle you can have access to the Cuillin for a lot of different day walks.
Post edited at 17:13
 BnB 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Logoir:
I have a base on Skye and I can confidently say that you have no chance of guaranteeing good weather. But late April to late May gives the best likelihood probably with the emphasis on the early weeks. Midges can be an issue in late May but only rarely.

Visit the Cuillin above all. They offer a little bit of Norway close to home. But be sure to visit each of the peninsulas for a varied taste of Skye's amazing riches. Suggestions:

Trotternish
Explore the Sanctuary and the Old Man of Storr or follow in the footsteps of the Victorians wandering through the pinnacles of the Quiraing. Best on a misty day. Drive back westwards over the road to Uig, stop at the pass for the most extensive view in all Scotland. You can see from Mull right up to Cape Wrath.

Waternish
Do the circuit of Beinn an Sguirr for a good tramp with great views then visit Stein, a quiet fishing community for a day of peace and calm.

Strath and Minginish
Take the boat from Elgol into Coruisk and climb Sgurr na Stri or Sgurr Hain before walking all the way back to Elgol. Definitely 6 rather than 4 hours but not to be missed. On a second day climb Marsco from Sligachan (very steep) or Loch Ainort (much easier) for the best view of the black Cuillin from a point set back from the range.

Duirinish
Wander the spectcular cliffs of Waterstein Head and the Hoe before a short drive to Neist Point for great seaward views, especially at sunset. Whales and basking sharks if you are lucky. Seals guaranteed.

Sleat
Sleat has no natural wonders of its own yet this is the prettiest part of the island, especially in late May with abundant wildflowers. What Sleat offers, and utterly unique in the UK, is a lush platform from which to admire the stupendous wall of the rugged Knoydart mountains tumbling precipitously into the Atlantic. In winter, this feels as close to Alaska as you can find in Britain. In summer, visit Eilean Iarmain (Isle Ornsay) for the classic view of moutains soaring above the lighthouse, then pop down to Armadale and do the charming headland walk in the woods (with otter hide and plenty of seals) signposted behind the shop at the ferry terminal.
Post edited at 17:56

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...