UKC

Compact Flash cards for write intensive applications

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Reach>Talent 14 Jan 2014
I've acquired responsibility for a bit of industrial equipment which runs off a CF card, apparently they don't last very long. As no-one seems to make microdrives any more is there a good option for write intensive applications?

Cheers
 elsewhere 14 Jan 2014
In reply to Reach>Talent:
From the Raspberry Pi website
"A note on SD card nomenclature. The card we’re offering here is rated as Class 4 – in some metrics, Class 4 means slow. This is not the case with this card, which has outperformed many Class 6 and Class 10 cards in our tests – classification seems not to correlate well with random read/write performance. Samsung’s unusual focus on random-access performance on their SD memory means that this card performs very fast and very reliably: we think you’ll be pleasantly surprised!"

Try Samsung CF as it may be same electronics as SD in a different package.
OP Reach>Talent 14 Jan 2014
In reply to elsewhere:

Cheers, I'll have a look at that.
 crayefish 14 Jan 2014
In reply to Reach>Talent:

If you're stuck using the cf, I was given a tip by an underwater photographer once. Only ever delete files by formatting the card using the equipment the cf is being used in (if possible). Apparently it makes the card last longer with less chance of failure than if files are moved around/deleted using a pc. So fill, copy, format. Don't know if that would apply to your situation but if its for data acquisition it should hold true.

Not sure if its true but the guy was pretty well known in underwater photography so I'm inclined to listen.
 london_huddy 14 Jan 2014
In reply to crayefish:

The nice man from SanDisk told me a similar thing except to avoid using the format function and instead deleting images. Limiting the use of a card to one writing device was another tip.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...