UKC

Boulder chalk bag advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BAdhoc 14 Jan 2014
Hi, I'm looking at getting a boulder bucket. Just wondering if people had any advice for or against different models.

I like the look of the dmm, moon, and la sportiva options at the moment but ordering online so I haven't had chance to actually have a look at any.

Thanks,
 Oceanrower 14 Jan 2014
In reply to BAdhoc:

It's a bag. It holds chalk. How different can they be?

Seriously, just get one with a pretty pattern you like the look of. It'll be fine.
 Jon Stewart 14 Jan 2014
In reply to BAdhoc:

Why don't you get a really small chalk bag instead? That way you're less likely to plaster far far too much chalk all over the holds.

Surely the boulder bucket is amazingly unhelpful in that it gives the signal that you need loads of chalk to go bouldering. Once the holds are plastered in chalk they look ugly and are a lot more difficult to climb. Minimising chalk use (by use of a small, nearly empty chalkbag, for example) would be very helpful for everyone.
 Andy Farnell 14 Jan 2014
In reply to BAdhoc: Go for the bag with lots of pockets for brushes, tape etc, and the best closure system.

Andy F

ti_pin_man 14 Jan 2014
In reply to BAdhoc:

oooh you dont need chalk? I use recycled dandruff from my beanie hat - gotta love some of the replies you get on here.

IMO a boulder bucket needs stability, so a nice base that helps stop it getting knocked over. And a very good closure system to stop chalk escaping when transporting it. Other than than that the comment about a couple of decent pockets for gear helps, enough room for tape/brushes and maybe a phone/wallet, job done. Theres a lot on the market and I've not yet found the perfect one myself. I even had a prototype made and am looking for somebody to refine it if anybody fancies the job.
 Jon Stewart 14 Jan 2014
In reply to ti_pin_man:

Have you tried using a lady's handbag? Lots of pockets and stuff I would think, plenty of room for a full pack of loose chalk...
 ti_pin_man 14 Jan 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

couldnt find one the right colour to match my five ten's. can i lend yours?
 Jon Stewart 14 Jan 2014
In reply to ti_pin_man:

be my guest. i have one to match my thick red socks and navy ronhills.
 krikoman 14 Jan 2014
In reply to BAdhoc:

No bag, no chalk
 ti_pin_man 14 Jan 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

high noon and handbags drawn, let the fight begin... but if you snap one of my nails there will be trouble.
 Durbs 14 Jan 2014
In reply to BAdhoc:

I like the DMM Edge - lots of chalk, pretty good closure (not as good as the ones that fold over themselves though), 2 pockets, 2 brush holders...

For the bucket-haters: They're usually shared amongst a group, hence the size. So there's possibly less chalk being used.
 Andy Farnell 14 Jan 2014
In reply to Durbs:

Also, as you don't carry the bag with you on the problem, you put less chalk on the holds because you can't chalk up on the way.

Andy F
 Jon Stewart 14 Jan 2014
 Enty 14 Jan 2014
In reply to andy farnell and Durbs:

Well thats cocked it up hasn't it?

E

OP BAdhoc 14 Jan 2014
In reply to Durbs:

Thanks, it was the dmm I was swaying towards.
 deacondeacon 14 Jan 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

That looks amazing! Thought you said there were no routes worth doing at Caley?
 Jon Stewart 14 Jan 2014
In reply to deacondeacon:

I should have said there was only one good route and it's typical grit - you might break your legs if you fall off. You'd probably like it - you'd probably think it was OK to jump off if it started going wrong...I didn't fancy my chances on it though, meant to be very high in the grade.
 deacondeacon 14 Jan 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Sounds good. You can show me it later in the year, and watch me bottle it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...