UKC

Buying locally manufactured Flys, or looking at Quarks & Vipers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Mountains 14 Jan 2014
I had a pair of the old version Flys for 4 winters and loved them . My only complaint was the bulge in the head which was VERY uncomfortable when holding the head with pick facing backwards. I see that on the latest Flys DMM have reduced and rounded the bulge but it is still there. Is it still an issue?

Or should I just forget about buying locally manufactured and get some Quarks or Vipers? I do like the Quarks very much but the adze looks pathetically small. I can't imagine how you could possible dig out a ledge with it.
 dutybooty 14 Jan 2014
In reply to Andy Mountains:

I love vipers. Solid, nice swing for me and hell I've given every single bit of that axe some real abuse and they still look nearly brand new. I can't recommend them enough.

I assume the head issue you're on about is pick all the way along? As per the cirque etc?

CurlyStevo 14 Jan 2014
In reply to Andy Mountains:
You'll manage just fine with a smaller adze and hammer IMO. I think your next tools should allow leashless / lanyard climbing and have a grip rest as well as an upper griprest and enough curvature to make holding the handles easier. That pretty much rules out the flys IMO.

I personally don't tend to dig out ledges I mostly kick them out, I'll only dig if I hit enough ice (or if the snowice / neve is bone hard)

One thing to watch on the new quarks is the upper grip rest is fairly fragile, that would be enough to stop me buying them personally.
Post edited at 11:57

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...