UKC

knots in tape

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 14 Jan 2014
aside from the water knot, what other knots work well in tape?
Such as - what knot would be safe from one end of tape to a solid ring - would double fishermans with end knot be suitable?
 jimtitt 15 Jan 2014
In reply to owena:

To form a loop in the end of a length of tape (I guess this is what you meant) a bowline on the bight is the strongest, that´s what we use for testing stuff.
 IPPurewater 15 Jan 2014
In reply to owena:

A loop formed by a tape knot or a rethreaded tape knot.
 Otis 15 Jan 2014
In reply to owena:

It depends on the tape material too. Dyneema isn't the greatest material for knotting - vid below is worth a watch.

Mike
http://dmmclimbing.com/knowledge/knotting-dyneema-vid/
OP The Potato 15 Jan 2014
In reply to Otis:
cheers for that, mines just nylon tape though, but heres an excerpt from that link interesting for dyneema

...a triple fisherman’s was the strongest knot by a large margin – not far off the strength from using a sewn sling (failure at 26 kN) in a perfect situation. Clearly, in a static pull, knots can hold in this type of material, obviously some far better than others, but there were large inconsistencies in behaviour...

...Interestingly, particularly for the 8 mm tape, the breaking strength increased if the Dyneema® was wet...

Post edited at 09:27
Joonsy 15 Jan 2014
In reply to owena:
> aside from the water knot, what other knots work well in tape?

> Such as - what knot would be safe from one end of tape to a solid ring - would double fishermans with end knot be suitable?

presume you mean taking a single length of tape round ring and tying back to loaded end with knot, your suggestion is a sliding knot that will cinch down on ring and be extremely difficult to untie (unless you mean tying the tape to form a sling) you would need to tie a fixed loop such as re-rethreaded water knot.
Post edited at 11:21
In reply to Joonsy:

thats another vote for the rethreaded water knot, ill get practicing it thanks all.
 MagnusL 15 Jan 2014
In reply to owena:

Why have water when you can have beer

The Beer Knot is like the water knot but with one end of the webbing inside the other end. Obviously it only works with tubular webbing. Tie an overhand leaving a long tail, thread one end inside the other end with a decent overlap then dress the overhand so that it lies over the section where the two webbing ends are overlapped.

youtube.com/watch?v=4Wz1WKSRf_g&
needvert 15 Jan 2014
In reply to MagnusL:

Another vote for learning beer knot. You don't see it around much.
In reply to needvert:

is there much benefit in tubular tape over normal flat tape?
 wivanov 16 Jan 2014
In reply to owena:

> is there much benefit in tubular tape over normal flat tape?

Personally, I think tubular webbing ties better. Knots just seem to sit nicer. No actual tests or figures that I can point to, though. When I tie a knot in flat webbing I always look at it and think..."hmmmm?"

One tip: Cut and heat seal the ends at a steep angle instead of straight across. Makes it easier to thread when tying the knot.
 crayefish 16 Jan 2014
In reply to owena:

I've been told tubular tape is slightly stronger as the weave doesn't have to have an edge so to speak. Though in reality I doubt it makes much difference.
 digby 16 Jan 2014
In reply to owena:

Would it not be safer to form a sling with a suitable knot then thread it through the ring, possible doubled to reduce the stress on the knot further, then clip to it with a crab?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...