UKC

The winter which hasn't happened .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
SethChili 15 Jan 2014
Over the last two years my hillwalking has been scuppered by snowy and cold weather . It forced me off the higher peaks , disrupted travel from my home in nottingham and revealed a lack of suitable equipment .
So this winter was going to be different .
I spent the spring refining my axe and crampon skills on old snow patches
I bought insulated gloves . I bought insulated jackets . I bought snow goggles .
I saved some cash so that as soon as the cold weather struck , I would be able to drop everything and travel .
But so far , there has not been a single extended cold snap . My family claim I am showing symptoms of mild depression ....
 Mark Bull 15 Jan 2014
In reply to SethChili:

You need to get yourself up to Scotland: there's a lot more snow on the hills than this time last year.
Tim Chappell 15 Jan 2014
In reply to Mark Bull:

It's all about looking in the right places. Cairn Gorm is often worth a punt. Sauchiehall Street, typically not.

More clues here:

http://www.scottishwinter.com/
 Steve Perry 15 Jan 2014
In reply to SethChili:

Winter is far from over.
SethChili 15 Jan 2014
In reply to Mark Bull:

I have considered this , but it is a long way and expensive whichever method of transport I use . Scotland seems a bit first step for the summer hillwalker with winter aspirations .
Tim Chappell 15 Jan 2014
In reply to SethChili:

I know what you mean, but on the other hand, we do actually have winters
 blackcat 15 Jan 2014
In reply to SethChili:Its still early yet we have feb and march to go,im sure we will get winter however long that may last.

SethChili 15 Jan 2014
In reply to blackcat:

Reassuring words .
I'm looking forward to whatever the rest of the winter months may bring
Slugain Howff 15 Jan 2014
In reply to SethChili

What is it you are waiting for. While you are sitting grumbling routes have been getting ticked every week since Novemeber.

S
Tim Chappell 15 Jan 2014
In reply to Slugain Howff:

He's in Englandshire, Slug.

It's grim dahn sahf.
Slugain Howff 15 Jan 2014
In reply to Tim Chappell:

He needs to take a leaf out of Fowler's book!!
 Fat Bumbly2 15 Jan 2014
In reply to Slugain Howff:

Not so easy today - imagine doing that journey without Ma Shepherd's, Lesmahagow or Beattock. That's before you get to £1.40 diesel and speed traps.
Memories!
 cliff shasby 15 Jan 2014
In reply to Steve Perry:

Winter hasnt happened yet outside scotland..!
 Trevers 15 Jan 2014
In reply to SethChili:

I am in complete sympathy with you. Scotland is a long bloody drive
 ScraggyGoat 16 Jan 2014
In reply to Trevers:

Move.................quality of life is far better up here (so long as you put on your Salmond-filtering ear muffs).

Mind you it can be just as long a drive E-W across scotland, as from North midlands to the standard 'honeypots'.
James Jackson 16 Jan 2014
In reply to SethChili:

I've ice-climbed in Wales in March. Be patient...
 Trevers 16 Jan 2014
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

> Move.................quality of life is far better up here (so long as you put on your Salmond-filtering ear muffs).

> Mind you it can be just as long a drive E-W across scotland, as from North midlands to the standard 'honeypots'.

I'm strongly tempted to. On the other hand I'd lose a close group of friends that I spent a decade accumlating. If only I could have been normal and happy to settle permanently in London. Sigh...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...