UKC

Tonbridge Casual Climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 qwerty 16 Jan 2014
Hi
For anyone interested, indoor climbing at Tonbridge School; just turn up, there is always someone there to belay you. See below for details:

Climbing at Tonbridge School Centre
Sessions every Monday and Wednesday 7:00pm-8:30pm

Our casual climbing sessions are available for anyone aged 11 years and over who have completed a Recre8 climbing course or similar. Your competency will be assessed by our instructor at your first session. A short course can be provided to learn the basics if needed.

Sessions are just £6.40 and are open to members and non-members. Why not book both the Monday and Wednesday sessions at the same time and save £1?

Please call the Centre on 01732 304111 or email tscdevelopment@tonbridge-school.org for further information.
 Oceanrower 16 Jan 2014
In reply to qwerty:

Come on now, this should be a premier post!
Iain(2010) 16 Jan 2014
In reply to Oceanrower:

Don't think this should be a premier post. Its a relatively small wall where a lot of kids and local adults get to try climbing. I would imagine that if they get 4 or 5 extra users because of this post they would be lucky. Therefore not worth a premier post.

It's a place where people are able to try climbing in a safe environment.

I used to live down there and used it because it was on the doorstep, there were some fun routes. Worth a look!
In reply to qwerty:

Good to see the public sessions being advertised. Is there any chance the session could be extended? 1.5 hours is very short for an evening session and that assumes getting there bang on 7:00.

Is 7:00 to 9:30 possible?

Thanks
OP qwerty 16 Jan 2014
In reply to Sandstone Stickman:

Not sure, I will check if that's possible. Sometimes it's okay to stay later but not sure that's a regular thing. However the sessions tend to be quite short and intense, so you can get quite a few climbs done in the hour and a half. The climbs range from about 3c to 6c (British tech) on 19 ropes and a few were set by Tim Emmett after his visit to the wall. It's a good training wall to develop your technique as the climbs don't change that often, so you can work on certain routes for a long time (assuming you're not able to flash 6b/6c!). Come along and give it a try, as I said, you can just turn up and climb and it's a lot more fun than bouldering if you can't sort out a climbing partner..
OP qwerty 21 Jan 2014
In reply to qwerty:

In reply to qwerty:
 Trangia 21 Jan 2014
In reply to qwerty:

I might be interested but it's a bit of a drive up from Hastings, so an extension of the time till 9:00 would be of more interest

Do you have any photos?

Also what is the height of the wall? Any lead climbs?

Thanks in advance.
 Trangia 22 Jan 2014
In reply to qwerty:

Bump
 Trangia 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Trangia:

I find it strange that someone should post trying to encourage people to use a wall, but when a potential customer asks questions about it with a view to a possible visit, there is no further response. What was the point of the original post?
In reply to Trangia:

As someone who was privileged enough to go to this school in 1963-8, and as one of the four founder members of the TS Climbing Club in 1967, I find this high-handedness very annoying. I hope my protest may encourage them to respond to you.
OP qwerty 26 Jan 2014
In reply to Trangia and Gordon:

I am not an employee of the wall, I am a fellow climber informing people that there are public sessions at the Tonbridge wall; not something that is well advertised. I have been away for the last week, so have not been able to respond to your question. If your query was urgent, then giving them a call might have resolved the (not insurmountable) problem.
 Trangia 26 Jan 2014
In reply to qwerty:

No need to get shirty, you did use the expression "we" in your OP so it's perfectly understandable that others, including myself, should assume that you were posting on behalf of the school.

Thanks for drawing it to our attention.
OP qwerty 26 Jan 2014
In reply to Trangia:

Please refer to final sentence in the original post.

You are most welcome!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...