UKC

From London to Snow via Public Transport

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Xharlie 16 Jan 2014
Our attempts to indulge in some skiing on the continent, shortly after New Year's day, failed miserably. Thwarted by rain and wind and bored silly with fake snow, we returned to London and resumed our daily grind.

We immediately started planning attempt two.

My wife and I are living in London and getting about on trains, feet and bicycles. We want to go skiing near the end of February. Unfortunately, nearly all my leave was consumed by our trip to Europe and so we will have an extended weekend - four days - at most. Where should we go?

Ideally, the venue (which may not be on the Mud Island) will be easily accessible by train, not too expensive, feature a hotel or bed-and-breakfast in close proximity to the skiing and, most of all, have good skiing. We're fairly new to the sport (coming from Africa) so we're looking for well organised pistes with lifts.

On the top of our list is http://www.nevisrange.co.uk/ because we can get there on a sleeper-train, paying money in exchange for day time.

Where should we go?
 Cuthbert 16 Jan 2014
In reply to Xharlie:
Easiest to get to from London would be sleeper train to Fort William and ski at Nevis Range as you have said or sleeper to Aviemore and ski at Cairn Gorm.

It's been very windy this year and uplift can be affected by this but there is more snow in the west certainly. If you stayed at Fort William you could get the bus to Nevis Range (20mins) and another day to Glen Coe (1hour). Both have great terrain and when the snow is good are great fun.

If you have not skied in Scotland before you will have to appreciate that the ski centres are not like continental resorts. The uplift is mainly old and there are few chairlifts. Drag lifts are the norm.

Sorry forgot to say, check out Winterhighland as the main resource for Scottish skiing.

If you want to go to the continent again I would recommend St Anton which has good snow right now and short transfer.
Post edited at 12:06
 Doug 16 Jan 2014
In reply to Xharlie:

The chances of going to Scotland & getting poor/bad/terrible weather &/or little snow are pretty high although you might be lucky.

But there are direct trains from London to the Alps ( see http://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/eurostar-deals/eurostar-train-deals/ski-train...

From Paris, I've often had long weekends using one of the night trains which means you don't waste day time travelling, you'd need to check times but maybe an early evening Eurostar to Paris followed by a night train might be an option?
 Cuthbert 16 Jan 2014
In reply to Doug:

They are not "high", they are higher. Most days the centres are open. Some days, they are closed
 AndyB123 16 Jan 2014
In reply to Xharlie:

Eurostart ski train to Bourg St Maurice will dump you at the foot of Paradiski area. From BSM train station, funicular upto Les Arcs 1600.
Accomodation in BSM (recommended is this place http://www.loftbourg.com/ ).
Plenty of accomodation in Les Arcs.
Probably similar time and cost as skiing in Scotland, more predictable snow and weather.

I have met some Londoners who had travelled from London to Les Arcs overnighton the Friday for a days skiing returning back to london for the Sunday.
 Doug 16 Jan 2014
In reply to Saor Alba:

I've skied in all the Scottish ski areas over many years (I was based in Aviemore for several years), very often even when they are open the conditions are pretty grim - although on such days the lift queues tend to be short !
 simonzxr 16 Jan 2014
In reply to AndyB123:

I agree with this, overnight ski train all the way! The Les Arc funicular is about 50m from the train station so it's the quickest way to get some alpine skiing in.
 Cuthbert 16 Jan 2014
In reply to Doug:

So have all my life and a fair amount this season. I am going touring on Wyvis and to Nevis Range on Sunday.

Most of the time the centres are open. Sometimes they are closed due to wind which is more often (much more often) than the continent. But the chances of wind stopping play are not "high". Just higher.
OP Xharlie 30 Jan 2014
Our tickets are booked, we're going to Bourg St. Maurice and taking the funicular up to Les Arcs. Since the funicular is included in your lift pass, we've taken accommodation in Bourg St. Maurice - it is far cheaper and the ride only takes 10 minutes or so, according to the internet.

Can anyone suggest a good place to hire skis, boots and poles for five days? We don't need any other gear.
Tim Chappell 30 Jan 2014
In reply to Saor Alba:

> So have all my life and a fair amount this season. I am going touring on Wyvis and to Nevis Range on Sunday.

> Most of the time the centres are open. Sometimes they are closed due to wind which is more often (much more often) than the continent. But the chances of wind stopping play are not "high". Just higher.

As a, erm, follow up to this, have you seen the forecast for Sunday? Mind how you go, sir.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...