UKC

Sneachda today (Thursday)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 peebles boy 16 Jan 2014

Took a rather icy wander into Sneachda today with the promise of a decent forecast...which it was til about mid morning!! Wind picked up, cloud dropped, snow came in after that. Before the world went white saw teams on - Doctors Choice, Pateys Route, Pygmy Ridge, Spiral Gully, Fingers Ridge, Red Gully and Goat-track Gully. We went up Goat-track, on variable snow - some well re-frozen after yesterdays rain, other stuff slightly suspect still. Wind created some shallow slab as route went in, with exciting sloughs every couple of minutes when it was proper blowing. Fun!!

Avalanche debris (from yesterday?) at the bottom of all the main gullies, complete with what looks like the old cornince from Central Gully - biggest single chunk of snow I have ever seen as part of avalanche debris (see photos).

Back over west now, lets see what the weekend brings...!!

Cheers folks,
Gordon.

Photos here (from today as well as Lurchers on Tuesday):

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152118492080865.1073741850.7386...
 Andy Nisbet 16 Jan 2014
In reply to peebles boy:

You do know that neither of the gullies in many of your pictures is North Gully. It's further right.
Tim Chappell 16 Jan 2014
In reply to peebles boy:

Nice pics. Even if you were inadvertently new routing
OP peebles boy 16 Jan 2014
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

Seriously?????? Only had the old Gorms guidebook with us and everything seemed to match up!!! Ah well, first time visit and all that....!

Care to hazard a guess what we actually did then?

Cheers!!
 JamesRoddie 16 Jan 2014
In reply to peebles boy:

I think those two routes in your photos are just "Left Hand Icefall" and "Right Hand Icefall".
In reply to Tim Chappell:

Cheers Tim. Every route's a new route if you don't know what you're on I think....

:0)
In reply to JamesRoddie:

Ah, OK, I thought they were the two smaller icefalls to the left of what we did...! Never mind, a good day out was had anyway.
 Mike-W-99 16 Jan 2014
In reply to peebles boy:

I wondered what they were too when I visited them a few years ago.

We did the one in the centre of this image as everyone else was crawling over the right hand one. Whic hone is which then?

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/72818_10152118496865865_16...
 rif 16 Jan 2014
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:

Left hand icefall I think -- at least, that's what I decided after doing it last winter. This ID was based on the series of pictures of different parts of Lurcher's in Captain Solo's photo gallery here on ukc
 Andy Nisbet 16 Jan 2014
In reply to rif:

They've been done many times by Glenmore Lodge parties over the years (being the shortest walk). But they never named them. North Gully is even better when it's in good nick!
Tim Chappell 16 Jan 2014
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

New to him, though
 DundeeDave 17 Jan 2014
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

We made the same mistake last year
 Webster 17 Jan 2014
In reply to peebles boy:

it seems to be a common mistake and there is allot of confusion over which line is which at lurchers! last year I was adamant that I had done central gully, even with the new cicerone guidebook for company and ok vis. after much deliberation days later decided it was north gully instead. The two gullies in your photos are therefore definitely left and right icefall and not north and K9!
 MadProfessor 17 Jan 2014
In reply to Webster:

K9 is shown in the 7th photo (starting with the moonlight shot as No 1) in peebles boy's collection, labelled 'lurcher's south end'. You can see the icicles hanging off the big roof in the leftmost gully line. We did the route last weekend in less-than-ideal conditions and thought it was IV/5. In fat conditions it will be a cracking route.
 Andy Nisbet 17 Jan 2014
In reply to MadProfessor:

The next Cairngorms guide could do with a topo which includes those two ice lines, since folk are getting confused.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...