UKC

Help! Car radio only picks up radio 2

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balmybaldwin 17 Jan 2014
All of a sudden, my car radio wont pick up any stations well enought to listen to except radio 2 (could be worse it could be r1) which seems to be near perfect reception

was working fine until wednesday, but suddenly all my other fm stations are fuzz, and ive completely lost all mw stations, and cant get r4lw either. Both mw and lw are completely silent.

Any ideas?
 Choss 17 Jan 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Have you considered an exorcism?
 Dan Arkle 17 Jan 2014

Has your aerial fallen off/disconnected?
Assuming aerial has not disconnected and it has an electronic program store, delete all, update and restore?
Post edited at 18:22
 alexcollins123 17 Jan 2014

Try aerial on the roof, then aerial behind the stereo, then unplug (completely from the car) for an hour or so so it discharges completely. Then plug back in and reprogramme. If its none of these then it could be a severed cable between aerial and radio perhaps, or just a radio fault?

cb294 17 Jan 2014

I like the exorcism idea, but with my last car the reason for only picking up the strongest FM station was that a marten had chewed off the aerial.

CB
 The Potato 17 Jan 2014

thats no bad thing. Mine sometimes picks up radio 1 aswell
crisp 17 Jan 2014

A radio permanently tuned to radio 2 - Excellent (I am over 40).
OP balmybaldwin 17 Jan 2014

Ive checked ariel, and its still there, and screwed in tight. Will have a poke around the back of the radio in the morning. Problem is im not sur I can get it out as its a built in job
 waterbaby 17 Jan 2014

We had an import once that could only get Radio 2. Not very helpful, sorry.
 gethin_allen 17 Jan 2014
In reply to crisp:

> A radio permanently tuned to radio 2 - Excellent (I am over 40).

But what about radio 4?
 gethin_allen 17 Jan 2014

> im not sur I can get it out as its a built in job

You may need special tools that slide down the sides and unclip hidden bits.
Have a Google, there are some universal kits available for removing stereos.

Jim C 17 Jan 2014
Are you just clicking the pre selects, or are you actively searching for channels ?

butteredfrog 17 Jan 2014

Unscrew and check/clean off any corrosion (its been a bit wet). Last car was particularly bad, it became a "three monthly operation" with noticeable results.
 butteredfrog 18 Jan 2014
In reply to crisp:

> A radio permanently tuned to radio 2 - Excellent (I am over 40).

Come on! If you spend more than 20 mins in the car, Radio 4 is the only way to go.

Jim C 18 Jan 2014
In reply to butteredfrog:

> Come on! If you spend more than 20 mins in the car, Radio 4 is the only way to go.

Agree, when I am on my own it is my favorite ,but my wife hates R4 and prefers 'popular music'
( because she has a 'young outlook on life ' - and I'm an old fart, apparently)

I can't stand her music, so it is usually stoney silence sometimes for hours with the radio switched off.
(I mean it's not like we are going to chat after 39 years together
 ewar woowar 18 Jan 2014

What car is it?
 alexcollins123 18 Jan 2014

Maybe www.fitaudio.com will have the instructions on how to remove the stereo?

I know some cars need quite a bit of trim removing before you can get it out - my old Fiesta was a nightmare!
OP balmybaldwin 18 Jan 2014
In reply to ewar woowar:

> What car is it?

Jag xtype...going to have a look now.
 ewar woowar 19 Jan 2014
> Jag xtype...going to have a look now.

There y' go.

The radio in those is designed to only receive R2!

;~))
Post edited at 00:31

Have you tried turning it off then on again?
 The Potato 19 Jan 2014

also does this kind of topic warrant a Help! in the title? surely thats a bit ott
Jim C 19 Jan 2014
> Jag xtype...going to have a look now.

If you pull the radio out leaving the electrics, can you remove the existing Ariel , and plug in a spare one ( you may have to earth it to the bodywork)

Or swap for a spare radio that you know works
( my shed has several, I assume others do to)
Post edited at 12:08
OP balmybaldwin 19 Jan 2014
In reply to Jim C:

My problem is working out how to remove the unit
 deepsoup 19 Jan 2014
I presume you've tried googling for instructions?
Did you find this: youtube.com/watch?v=G-7DhH2xQQE& Any help?
 grommet 19 Jan 2014

Our BMW radio suddenly changed one day to only pick up one station. After a lot of googling we realised it had somehow set itself to a default country of japan. We went into the setup (you tube assisted) and changed it. All was fine after that. Strange, but true.
OP balmybaldwin 19 Jan 2014
In reply to deepsoup:

I did look, but didnt find that. It does look a lot different to mine, but im guessing the access is the same.

Further fiddling today has led me to suspect the aerial, as depending on how I wiggle it, I did get 5live for a few moments. I did get a replacement aerial about 6 months ago as some scrote nicked the original, so will try a real jag one from a friends car tomorrow and see if that sorts it.

If it doesnt, then I may look into installing a dab conversion while im at it... anyone got any experience of these? Do they work well?
ceri 19 Jan 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin: My car (peugeot 206) did the same thing some time ago. I solved the problem by just listening to CDs (although they don't give a very good traffic report)...

john arran 19 Jan 2014

We got a second hand Renault Trafic recently and initially it seemed that only a few stations could be found in a station scan, but after investigation it turned out there's a setting to scan everything or to scan only pre-tuned stations and it was set to the latter. Wasn't at all intuitive.
Maybe you've activated a similar setting by accident?
 damo5000 19 Jan 2014

Panel around hazard unclips, two torx 30 behind there, unclip ashtray and maybe gear gaitor surround. There's a flat plastic cover behind ash tray. Unclip that, two more torx, whole lot then can be removed.

Remove antenna plug and use a short piece of wire to touch on centre antenna pin, test radio for other stations.

Let us know what you find!
 Gene00 20 Jan 2014

Sell your car ASAP
 LastBoyScout 20 Jan 2014
In reply to ceri:

My Focus radio gradually got fuzzier or intermittant reception for a while before ceasing to work completely. Replaced the external aerial with no difference and the radio with a slightly upgraded 6-disk one from eBay, which worked for a while and then gave up the ghost in the same fashion.

After that, I just stuck with CDs until I sold the car.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...