/ Down Jackets

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
tango_kid - on 18 Jan 2014
Hi,
so it's not something im close to buying largely due to finance. But i have been looking at down jackets and just wondered what the real world difference between micro light style down jackets when compared to the really big down jackets warmth wise. Assuming they are both at the same fill power. Obviously the big jacket is going to be warmer, but how much? And then how much warmer is a micro-style down jacket compared to a synthetic jacket?

Just to clarify the type i mean, this is what i mean by micro-style: http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/rab-mens-microlight-alpine-jacket-1B110340?loc=sub
jtr - on 19 Jan 2014
In reply to tango_kid:

what size are you? I have a Mount Hardware size XL down jacket that was always too big on me, so looking to sell on. I bought a Montane primaloft jacket recently, better size on me, cheaper, and a nice colour in the pub!
tango_kid - on 19 Jan 2014
In reply to tango_kid:

Cheers, but im actually a small. Im not actually looking to buy one at the moment, I was just wondering what the difference in warmth is like.
jimtitt - on 19 Jan 2014
In reply to tango_kid:

A good down jacket you can lie down at -20 and go to sleep, a thin one you put on at -20 to get into your car to go shopping.
August West on 19 Jan 2014
In reply to tango_kid:

If you think of the skinny ones as being like a warm jumper that is also windproof then you'll not be too far wrong.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.