/ Lewis Clarke reaches South Pole

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Jim C - on 18 Jan 2014
Lewis's record - for the same coast-to-pole route - was previously held by 18-year-old Sarah McNair Landry, from Canada.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-25726694

Not sure how I feel about this one, anybody strong views ?
balmybaldwin - on 18 Jan 2014
In reply to Jim C:

Unsure myself. Fantastic acheivement, but not sure "youngest" records should be encouraged too much.

Was surprised how little was raised for charity.
Jim C - on 18 Jan 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> Was surprised how little was raised for charity.

Or who paid for the cost of the expedition , did Carl Alvey, his guide come free of charge for example ?
Dave Kerr - on 19 Jan 2014
In reply to Jim C:

Perhaps he'll be able to launch a successful media career and line of clothing / knives off the back of it...
Cambridge-Climber - on 19 Jan 2014
In reply to Dave Kerr:

> Perhaps he'll be able to launch a successful media career and line of clothing / knives off the back of it...

His name isn't Gnarly enough for that.
Robert Durran - on 19 Jan 2014
In reply to Jim C:

And I'd assumed they'd packed the trip in after crossing America.
Rick Graham on 19 Jan 2014

> His name isn't Gnarly enough for that.

Though interestingly it is very similar to " Clark and Lewis expedition 1804 to 1806 Corps of Discovery " the first crossing of the US by white men.
llechwedd - on 19 Jan 2014
In reply to Jim C:
Quite an achievement.

Saw this and thought of Paul Tattershall's 'munros on a bike' journey some years back.
http://www.explorersweb.com/polar/news.php?url=juan-menendez-granados-and-his-bicycle-r_139005876.

edited to
http://www.explorersweb.com/polar/
Post edited at 11:59
Stuart (aka brt) - on 19 Jan 2014
In reply to Jim C:

> Lewis's record - for the same coast-to-pole route - was previously held by 18-year-old Sarah McNair Landry, from Canada.

> Not sure how I feel about this one, anybody strong views ?

Young person doesn't sniff glue/rob old lady/hang around street corner aimlessly/rape someone/play Playstation all day SHOCKER!

What's not to like?

> Was surprised how little was raised for charity.

> Or who paid for the cost of the expedition , did Carl Alvey, his guide come free of charge for example ?

I assume like lots of expeditions they'll have got sponsorship and knowing a very little about the company that organised the trip I suspect the "raising money for charity" was an add on benefit and not the sole aim. The coast to the Pole isn't a trip to be sniffed at either.

Well done I say.
ads.ukclimbing.com
maisie on 19 Jan 2014
In reply to Stuart (aka brt):

> Young person doesn't sniff glue/rob old lady/hang around street corner aimlessly/rape someone/play Playstation all day SHOCKER!

> What's not to like?

> Well done I say.

Well said.

I suspect the family has a bit of money behind it, and that would have made the whole project feasible. But, a) a 16 year old kid had the ambition and drive to walk across Antartica, and b) with a name like Lewis Clark, there's probably a family history of the outdoors.

Well done indeed. Hope it gives our kids some inspiration about what's achievable.

Martin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.