UKC

Compact cameras in winter?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CMcBain 19 Jan 2014
Just wondering how people find their compact camera's stand up to winter climbing abuse? I've got a Canon S110 which I really like for multi-pitch rock etc but I've got reservations about using it in winter. I have it attached to me via a lanyard and in the breast pocket of my jacket. I've noticed a few winter shots taken by S95/100/110 and similar style compact cameras and wonder how well they stand up to being shoved in a damp pocket or if anyone has found a usable case that still keeps the bulk down.

Cheers
In reply to CMcBain:

For winter walking and rock climbing I keep my S95 in a Crumpler Muffin-top 55 which will attach to a rucksack belt or harness. Keeps the drizzle out and provides some protection but probably a bit bulky for any thrutching moves. I keep the camera attached to me using one of those retractable ski-pass things.
 bengt 19 Jan 2014
In reply to CMcBain:

I've got a Panasonic FT3, which I carry in a small case, attached to myself with a lanyard.

It has held up fine so far, but it is a so called "rugged" model, which means it is somewhat waterproof and freeze-proof.

Besides water, the main problem with compacts seems to be keeping the battery warm.
 Dr.S at work 19 Jan 2014
In reply to CMcBain:

I've used a few, canon s80, olympus xz-1, and found no problems for winter use. Generally keep in a small rolltop bag in a jacket pocket, have taken to sticking a couple of silica gel things in to absorb water.
 AdrianC 19 Jan 2014
In reply to CMcBain: I find my S100 can't live in a case in winter - once it's cold the camera just won't work so I have to keep it in an inside pocket which it seems to cope with just fine.

OP CMcBain 19 Jan 2014
In reply to AdrianC:

Thanks for the input so far, thinking I will try the drybag + silica sachets (do you reckon these actually make much of a difference? As I can get them from work quite easily!). It's interesting that the S100 seems better sans case, I thought it would be the opposite. Any other views?
 Niall_H 19 Jan 2014
In reply to CMcBain:

If I'm just going hiking, then I stick with an old Canon A590 in my jacket pocket - it's coped well so far. For climbing, I take a bridge camera (a Fuji A1500 - again an older model) in a Lowepro Apex AW 90 case - I don't bother with the rain cover, but have applied Nikwax TX Direct to the case: that combination's worked well all through the year, including near-horizontal snow and sleet in the Cairngorms.
 Mr Fuller 19 Jan 2014
In reply to CMcBain:

Just got an S110 and it seems to be fine for this sort of thing save for the battery life, which is absolutely appalling in the cold: get it out of a pocket on full battery, 3 photos later and it's flashing 'red'. Back in the pocket it goes...
 Mike-W-99 19 Jan 2014
In reply to Mr Fuller:

Same here, noticed that the last few times I was out. S95 didnt suffer from this.
OP CMcBain 19 Jan 2014
In reply to Mike_Watson_99/Mr Fuller:

The battery life issue is a bit concerning. Although I have read that the first few charges of the battery can be the worst if your S110 is brand new Mr Fuller? I'd hope it could at least last one winter day out, as 3 shots would indeed be a bit rubbish!
 Mr Fuller 19 Jan 2014
In reply to CMcBain:

Yeah, mine's really new and might be improving. First time out on the hill was a shocker - one shot and then it flashed low battery. I got it out hours later after warming up and it managed another couple then died. Today I got about 30 photos in total, but warming in my pocket between shots. That's never happened with any other camera I own and is a bit of a git. Hopefully it will continue to improve - I don't want to have to buy replacement batteries for single-day trips!
OP CMcBain 19 Jan 2014
In reply to Mr Fuller:

Do you just store it sans case in an inside/outside pocket? I might try one of the 'padded' alpkit drybags and see if mine fairs any better.
 jonnie3430 19 Jan 2014
In reply to bengt:

> I've got a Panasonic FT3, which I carry in a small case, attached to myself with a lanyard.

> It has held up fine so far, but it is a so called "rugged" model, which means it is somewhat waterproof and freeze-proof.

> Besides water, the main problem with compacts seems to be keeping the battery warm.

I use one of these too, it's taken over from an Olympus mju 720. Both are great cameras, the video on the FT3 is much better though. Waterproof, shockproof and freeze proof, mine sits in a sling outside my layers on winter routes so I never have dramas getting it out for good photos. I've never had dramas from cold with the battery either, yet is on the outside of my kit.
 Mr Fuller 19 Jan 2014
In reply to CMcBain:

It depends. Today it was in an outside pocket with no case (warms/cools faster) but when it's actually cold it'll go in an inside pocket closer to skin. A padded drybag will insulate from cold but also from warmth!
 TobyA 20 Jan 2014
In reply to AdrianC:

> I find my S100 can't live in a case in winter - once it's cold the camera just won't work so I have to keep it in an inside pocket which it seems to cope with just fine.

Yep, I've got the S110 and the batteries (I've got a spare one) are complete pants in cold weather. From fully charged to unable to operate in about 45 minutes in its lowe pro case clipped on my harness at about -11. But having observed this, I now keep it inside my clothes and yesterday took over a 140 shots, the temperature was about -17 to -15 all day, and it was still registering completely full on the drive home. Having stuffed in your midlayer does make getting it out mid-climb more of a hassle though! https://twitter.com/TobyinHelsinki/status/424992204562526208/photo/1/large
 mattrm 20 Jan 2014
In reply to bengt:

What is the FT3 like with gloves on?

Ideally I'd like something:

cheap (happy to buy second hand off ebay)
cold and waterproof (something that I could hang off a harness without a case on)
easy to use with gloves on
quick to turn on and take a pic or movie

Don't really care about picture quality, for a 'normal' like me I'm sure anything will be good enough.
 Blue Straggler 20 Jan 2014
In reply to TobyA:

I have no experience of this, but would those chemical hand warmers in the camera case be useful (for keeping it all external), or are those temperatures too cold for those things to even activate?
 TobyA 20 Jan 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I imagine they might work but its hassle, expense and more weight. I could see them falling out as you grab the camera out of its bag too. Sticking it down your jumper probably no harder!
 Blue Straggler 20 Jan 2014
In reply to TobyA:

> Sticking it down your jumper probably no harder!

Ah I wasn't sure how much of an issue this was:
"Having stuffed in your midlayer does make getting it out mid-climb more of a hassle though!" in an earlier post.

The camera I had out in the Norries on Saturday totally spazzed out but it is a 10-year old 3MP Fujifilm Finepix A310 with a street value of about £5 these days
 bengt 20 Jan 2014
In reply to mattrm:
The FT3 has been OK to use with thin gloves on, and the shutter button is reasonably large. The only slight issue is the zoom buttons, which are on the small side when using gloves.

I paid about £300 for mine two years ago. It should be cheaper now.
Post edited at 19:37
 Kai 20 Jan 2014
In reply to CMcBain:

Never had a problem.

I keep my compact camera in a chest pocket. Typically inside a small lightweight sylnylon pouch.
 IM 28 Jan 2014
In reply to CMcBain:

I have been using a canon GX1 recently and getting pretty good results, it has a large sensor which is a massive help. I was going well with it last Friday until I got moisture on the lens as my mate was climbing a nice wee icy corner and that was game over as far as photos were concerned. A real bugger, if anyone has any tips about drying the lens off in wild conditions plse let me know. I couldn't do it. Maybe a UV filter that I could have taken off would be the way to go? The GX1 is not the most compact of compacts but i don't mind the size and weight and it seems to be built like a tank.
Incidentally, I have it taped it up here and there with a quite grippy fabric tape that sticks really well even when wet, doesn't leave a sticky residue [don't sue me..], helps to stops dials and buttons being pressed accidentally and provides a little bit of protection. Unfortunately it has a naff camouflage finish - I think people tape up guns with it. I can't recall the name of it but can let you know if you are interested.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...