Off Belay forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Construction advice.

nocker - on 20 Jan 2014
I have an old timber conservatory which was created by enclosing the space between the back wall of the house and the kitchen and party wall. The original "wall" construction of the conservatory comprised two joiner made window units and a double door unit, tied together with the window units sitting on brick dwarf walls. Unfortunately the softwood units have started to rot and need replacing. I have been given a very nice set of aluminium double glazed sliding doors which I am wanting to fit. My problem is that the timber units supported the roof whereas the aluminium glazed unit will not do that. The roof is relatively light weight, comprising timber joists and polycarbonate sheet. One solution would be to insert a beam to support the joists/roof, but with a shallow fall on the roof I don't have much depth to play with. The span is 16ft and I would appreciate some advice on the necessary size of timber or steel beam / channel necessary to span this distance.
... not showing 8 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums