UKC

Migraine with blurred vision – anyone?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dhuhkosi 20 Jan 2014
I get a migraine once every 3 to 4 months which lasts thankfully for a couple of hours. Usually related to flashing or strong lights shone into my eyes.
Classic symptoms:
Throbbing, pounding, or pulsating pain.
Often begins on one side of your head and may spread to both or stay on one side.
Nausea and vomiting.
Visual disturbances.
Parts of your body may feel numb.

However, on Friday, I had a very intense migraine which has left me with blurred vision in my right eye. Not 100% blurred – I would say about 10%.

- Anyone had a similar experience?
- Should I go to the doctor or optician (or both)?
 Tall Clare 20 Jan 2014
In reply to dhuhkosi:

Mr TC tends to lose sight (either on one side, or tunnel vision) with migraines. If you're not already seeing a doctor about yours, I would.
 jkarran 20 Jan 2014
In reply to dhuhkosi:

If the symptoms are new or more severe than usual, or if you haven't already seen a doc about what sounds like a pretty severe problem you probably should.

I've never had blurred vision associated with migraine but thankfully I only ever get very mild symptoms (light sensitivity, visual disturbance and tunnel vision) with no pain.

It's probably worth seeing an optician if you're struggling to focus one of your eyes, it may be that you've been working pretty hard at it for a while without noticing and the migraine/exhaustion has left you, hopefully temporarily unable to focus it.

jk
 nniff 20 Jan 2014
In reply to dhuhkosi:

yes - it's miserable.

I haven't really got an answer, except lots of ibuprofen and going to bed if you can. Sometimes a brisk walk in fresh air with loads of ibuprofen can help.

Fortunatley, I get them rarely these days, and even less so since we had an extension built on our house - my classic way of triggering them was buttering toast in the morning on a sunny day - the sunlight would reflect off the knife into my eyes and bingo. Now the toast buttering spot is not in sunlight!

I particularly dislike computer screesn with a bright window behind them and dark places with bright sunlight in the distance (some tunnels for example) and I'm always careful when I emerge into bright sunlight from somewhere dark or draw the curtains on a very sunny morning).

The main thing is to be aware - which is why the toast buttering thing caught me out so often - it was so mundane. Now for example, as few of the blinds at one end of the office are open: it's very sunny and a significant contrast to the light in the rest of the office - I'm studiously avoiding looking at it, even though it's directly in my line of sight. When I do, I'll look up slowly to let my eyes adjust to the brightness.

Other than that, I avoid orange juice like the plague - it was my trigger was I was a kid.
 Neil Williams 20 Jan 2014
In reply to dhuhkosi:

If it has left you with a permanent effect, yes you absolutely should seek medical advice.

Neil
 Jon Stewart 20 Jan 2014
In reply to Neil Williams:

^^Definitely see a doc asap if the blurred vision came on with the migraine and has remained.

Also worth getting your eyes checked at the opticians if the outcome from the doctor is inconclusive - they can do a whole load of tests to find the cause of the visual problem.
OP dhuhkosi 21 Jan 2014
In reply EVERYONE:

Thank you all for the advice. Looks like I'm off to the opticians and doctors...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...