UKC

"It's all China's fault"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 20 Jan 2014
Whenever a thread comes up on global warming there's always at least one post that reminds us that whatever the UK does will make no difference as China is a much bigger polluter than we are and they aren't doing anything about it.

Well that's not true: http://www.theengineer.co.uk/blog/airpocalypse-now/1017837.article?cmpid=te...

China is investing around $470bn in renewables over the next 5 years with the intention of producing 20% of it's electricity generating capacity by 2020 from green energy.

$470bn over 5 years will approximately equal to the entire GDP of Luxembourg or Croatia.
 Timmd 20 Jan 2014
In reply to Removed User:

Well said, they may be rotten when it comes to human rights, it's not like they're sitting on their hands when it comes to climate change.
Post edited at 17:56
 GrahamD 20 Jan 2014

We should do our bit by burning Jeremy Clarkson and Nigel Lawson and any other nay sayers for fuel.
 Chris the Tall 20 Jan 2014

> Whenever a thread comes up on global warming there's always at least one post that reminds us that whatever the UK does will make no difference as China is a much bigger polluter than we are and they aren't doing anything about it.

Interesting article, but it does say that China IS the world greatest polluter, so only the bit about them doing nothing about it is wrong.

China will soon be the world biggest economy, but it has reached that at an inevitable cost. It's citizens are now demanding things like better air quality and better human rights, which will slow down the rate of expansion
KevinD 20 Jan 2014

Kinda needed when you have to have pilots trained for low visibility landing at your main airport to deal with the smog issue.
Removed User 20 Jan 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

China is the biggest polluter because it's the biggest manufacturer.

It's the biggest manufacturer because we (the rest of the developed world) get them to make stuff for us.

I don't think it will make much difference to the rate of growth. China runs huge balance of payments surpluses every year. They've got money to burn if you'll excuse the pun.
Removed User 20 Jan 2014
In reply to dissonance:

Yes, something has to change.

When the Olympics went to Beijing and the athletes were complaining about the air quality I thought they were being a bit precious about it all. Having been there a few times now, Bejing, Xiaming, Shenzen and Suzhou I realise what a problem it is. There's no way I would ever live in any of those cities for the sake of my health. Inevitably I develop a cough within a week of staying there.

Of course it's only part of the problem. Vehicle emissions will have to be tackled as well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...