UKC

Yorkshire Grand Départ - campsites en-route

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FrankBooth 21 Jan 2014
Hoping to get up to Yorkshire for the weekend of the Grand Départ, but I don't know the area at all. Any suggestions for reasonable priced campsite en-route? We were thinking about somewhere near Skipton perhaps (I'd prefer not to travel too far north)

Our criteria:
  • Good view of race, maybe top of a hill?
  • Good location for doing a bi of cycling/walking/climbing the rest of the weekend
  • Reasonable price (some campsites are really cashing in!)
  • Prefer low key campsite to the formal 'family-orientated' type
  •  andy 21 Jan 2014
    In reply to FrankBooth: I think most of the "official" campsites will be sold out yonks ago. There's several "pop up" ones - Wharfedale and Ilkley rugby clubs, and the show field at Kilnsey are both doing something, and there's a Rapha sponsored "festival" at Broughton Hall near Skipton.

I'd be temped to go for Ilkley as it's near both Stage 1 and 2, and you can walk int town.

It's on the Ilkley CC website and I know they've still got spaces.

Enty 21 Jan 2014
    In reply to andy:

> there's a Rapha sponsored "festival" at Broughton Hall near Skipton.

>

>

That's Skipton off the list then

E

andy 21 Jan 2014
    In reply to Enty:

There's a thing at Harewood where they're asking three and a half grand for the weekend apparently.

Ilkley are doing guided rides the week before as well (declaration of interest: Ilkley CC second claim member...)
     John Ww 21 Jan 2014
    In reply to FrankBooth:

Have a look at

www.springfieldfarmcamping.co.uk

HTH, JWý
     sheeny 21 Jan 2014
    In reply to FrankBooth:
    there will be pop up campsites all along the route, Cray in Wharfedale would be a good spot, campsites etc will be posted on official websites york dales nat park site etc
     andy 21 Jan 2014
    In reply to sheeny:

> there will be pop up campsites all along the route, Cray in Wharfedale would be a good spot, campsites etc will be posted on official websites york dales nat park site etc

Cray'll be great for stage 1 (as will Kilnsey) but not for stage 2, as you'd have to get all the way back down the valley to see it - which is why I reckon Ilkley's about as good as any (it goes through Ilkley on Day 1 and Addingham on Day 2), unless there's anywhere sort of Haworth way - then you could get over to Skipton easy enough for Stage 1 and then nip over to Cragg Vale or watch them going over Peckett Well on day 2.

That Springfield place is ok for Stage 2, but not for the first day.

Ilkley and Skipton are also on short(ish) train lines into Leeds if you wanted to go in on Friday or whenever the signing on thing is.
     sheeny 21 Jan 2014
    In reply to andy:

Ah you didnt say stage 2!.i am in stage 1 area if you require more advice/info
    cheers paul

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
    Loading Notifications...