UKC

Snow in the Trossachs area

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Giz 21 Jan 2014
Got a week off in mid Feb and I NEED some snowy mountains to walk in. Unless winter starts in earnest in the next week there won't be any snow worth talking about south of Scotland. So, can anyone tell me what the snow is like in the Trossachs area? Cheers.
 coolhand 21 Jan 2014
In reply to Giz:

There is none, currently.
 Joak 21 Jan 2014
In reply to Giz:

If your definition of "Trossachs area" includes Lochearn, Crianlarich, Arrochar etc would think you'll be spoilt for choice for some decent winter walking mid Feb on the higher hills. Up to now winter hasn't been cold but it has been snowy (and stormy!)
Giz 21 Jan 2014
In reply to Joak:

Yes I'm talking Arrochar, Tyndrum, Loch Earn sort of area. No fixed plans on where exactly but it's as far North as I can persuade my wife to go!!!
jjmacewan 21 Jan 2014
In reply to Giz:

Keep an eye on this and you might eventually see Ben More(and some snow!):

http://www.benmorewebcam.co.uk/
 Jack Luke 21 Jan 2014
In reply to Giz:

There's great walking to be done in the Trossach's, but it does need to be pretty chilly to make it worth while. I'd scoot the extra 1.5 hours up the road and stick with Glen Coe and the Ben if I were you.
Giz 21 Jan 2014
In reply to Jack Luke:

I totally agree. You try persuading my wife though...! Just getting her this far was hard enough. If winter 'proper' would only just hurry up and arrive...
In reply to Giz:

If you can make it as far as Killin or Crianlarich - neither really much of an extra stretch - then I'd be surprised if you can't find proper winter on Ben More, Ben Lui or Ben Lawers. Though what's happening by mid Feb is anyone's guess.
Giz 21 Jan 2014
In reply to jjmacewan:

useful webcam thanks. Looks like there is some snow up there!
 Joak 21 Jan 2014
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Aye Killin can be a good call during westerlies, being a bawhair further east I've enjoyed good clear days on the Lawers/Tarmachans when nearby Ben More, Cruach Ardrain have been claggy and wet.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...