UKC

Stoves for the Alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alpenglow 21 Jan 2014
I'm looking at getting a small stove for the Alps in summer for use camping in the valley and for planned bivvys.

I'm mainly looking at the Primus Express Spider and the Jetboil ZiP.
(Also considering Primus Express and MSR PocketRocket, but I'm unsure of their cold weather performance and stability.)

The Primus Spider is cheaper, has a preheat tube and remote canister but I think it's slightly less efficient.
The Jetboil has a contained pan so may be lighter overall and is more efficient.

Has anyone had any experience with either one or any recommendations?

Cheers,
BR
 MG 21 Jan 2014
In reply to blackreaver:

I have a pocket rocket. Cheap, small, light and effective but it is a bit wobbly.
 richardw87 21 Jan 2014
In reply to blackreaver:

https://www.alpkit.com/products/kraku wildcard perhaps??
 wilkesley 21 Jan 2014
In reply to blackreaver:

The Spider is more stable than canister top stoves, so less likely to spill stuff on uneven ground. You can increase efficiency by making a wind shield out of Baco-foil. Jetboil's are good at heating water/melting snow, but much less useful if you want to try and cook on them.
OP Alpenglow 21 Jan 2014
In reply to richardw87:

Alpkit one looks good, but I have a blacks giftcard to use up so the stoves I've mentioned are the ones that Blacks sell that are within my price range.

Thanks for all the replies so far!
 Robert Durran 21 Jan 2014
In reply to blackreaver:

> I'm looking at getting a small stove for the Alps in summer for use camping in the valley and for planned bivvys.

I suspect that anything good for bivvys is not going to be very satisfactory for cooking massive refueling meals in the valley unless it is as a kettle in addition to a proper stove.
OP Alpenglow 21 Jan 2014
In reply to Robert Durran:

So the Jetboil is more useful for melting snow/boiling water due to it's small pot size and not very adjustable heat output.
I think i'll go for the Primus spider as it's a bit more versatile.

Thanks for your input.
 martinph78 21 Jan 2014
In reply to blackreaver:

I'd go for the Spider and a Primus Eta 1 litre pot for bivving, and a larger pot for valley camping.

Mark Haward 22 Jan 2014
In reply to blackreaver:

Different stoves suit different conditions. As others have said jetboil is rubbish for cooking but excels at boiling water / melting snow. This is my choice for a luxury bivvy stove, heating either bought or homemade boil in the bag meals. Eat from bag, water also ready for a brew - perfect for two people. Great wind resistance built in and can be hung if on small ledges.
MSR Pocket Rocket is what I use if every gram counts. Personally, I then prefer a larger two burner stove for valley cooking but I am lazy, greedy and travel by car.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...