UKC

NEWS: Ryan Pasquill Makes 2nd Ascent of Sleepy Hollow, E10

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 22 Jan 2014
Ryan pulling over the roof of Sleepy Hollow, 3 kbOn Sunday the 19th January, Ryan Pasquill made the second ascent of Sleepy Hollow, E10 7a, aka Headless Horseman Direct. This was first climbed in December by Pete Whittaker who climbed it quickly, despite its obvious difficulty...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68662
In reply to UKC News:

Very matter of fact, RP, isn't he?!

jcm
In reply to UKC News:

Well done! I thought it looked like someone had been on this again.
 JKW 22 Jan 2014
In reply to UKC News:
Nice one Ryan

Mutl3y 22 Jan 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Well done Ryan.
 Mr Fuller 23 Jan 2014
In reply to UKC News:
So is this the 'hardest route on grit', then? What are the other contenders? Baron Greenback? Equilibrium? The Groove?
Post edited at 10:37
 Jon Stewart 23 Jan 2014
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

> Very matter of fact, RP, isn't he?!

Yes.

> I abseiled down it once a few years ago. I managed all the moves and knew it would go but I was a bit too hungover to really tell how hard it was...When I heard Pete had done it, I thought 'Shit, another one bites the dust at the hands of Peter Whittaker'.

This is why climbing is so much better than actuals sports.

I'd like to hear from Usain Bolt "I tried doing the hundred meters in less than 9.6s a while back, but I was too hungover and didn't know if it'd go".

rice boy 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Great effort on the swift second ascent. What a line.

On choice of poisons: didn't Usain Bolt talk about his pre-run chicken nugget regime. Take your point though - tis beautiful game we play...
 1poundSOCKS 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart: Because sports people are more dedicated than climbers?

Jon Stewart 23 Jan 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

> Because sports people are more dedicated than climbers?

It's not only the dedication, it's the industrial level of dedication that makes sport less appealing to me. I like the fact that raw talent and grit (pun intended) are what brings a climber to the cutting edge, rather than the dry science of genetics/physiology, training and doing everything possible within the rules to maximise performance.
 Wft 23 Jan 2014
In reply to rice boy:

Athletics and most sports in general would be better with a two tier system. 'Clean' and 'Pumped-full-of-every-drug-possible-thereby-seeing-the-potential-of-the-human-body-rather-than-human-spirit' or something like that.

nice one Ryan.

rice boy 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I'm with you on the appeal of this sport being rooted (pun also intended) in less tangible/measureable qualities that's not to say it isn't with the emergence of sports science in climbing. Think Usian and Ryan both have some genes on their side and similar amounts of dedication pounding the track or seeking dry rock respectively.

Baron Greenback next??
 1poundSOCKS 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart: Industrial level dedication is just dedication isn't it? I think the appeal of climbing is, you can make it more or less competitive, as it suits, whereas sprinting is all about beating your opponents.

Regarding climbing, I do wonder how much is raw talent and how much is hard work, coupled with getting a lot of mileage in from a young age. Add to that the ability to withstand hard training without getting injured all the time, which is at least partly genetic.

Jon Stewart 23 Jan 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

I'm talking really about hard grit routes. Sport climbing is obviously a lot more like sport and dependent on genetics and dedication. But hard grit also involves a slightly strange personality: the desire to do these really short, really technical, potentially injurious routes, in the freezing cold, wind and narrowly avoiding the wet.

If your way of reaching the cutting edge is training and dedication, you're not going to choose hard grit.
 1poundSOCKS 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart: I did ignore the mental bit, which I think is mostly genetic, but I think you can train boldness too. I tend to avoid really bold stuff, but only a few years ago I was a gibbering wreck on a top-rope at Leeds Wall, leading a few grit HVS's is a big leap for me. It is also the case that the amount of boldness you can tolerate is partly related to your chances of falling off. Being stronger really does pay dividends, especially on grit. I think the top grit operators are incredibly strong, incredibly dedicated and incredibly well trained. They wouldn't have reached cutting edge without it, but I agree there is an extra ingredient required.

Al Evans 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Franco Cookson:

Why do you say that Franco?
 andi turner 23 Jan 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Really amazing. Such a fantastic piece of climbing. Well done both!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...